Hi guys,

I did some math today and this left me confused. Here are some examples:

Calmini 5" lift
Cost: $1,600

TC UCAs, 3" coils, rear shocks, Alcans
Cost: ~$2,000

SLR 3" lift
Cost: ~$2,000

All of this non-installed. If installed, I think that the TC UCA combination will be the cheapest due to the small number of parts. I may be wrong...

Calmini lift comes out to be the cheapest option with the most lift. However, it seems that many people on this board favor TC UCA/coils/Alcan combination. Is it that much better?

I do not do any desert racing and I really want only a moderate lift with enough flex to get me to remote camping spots. At this point I am not thinking of doing the Rubicon trail The 5" lift offered by Calmini sounds a bit extreme for what I want to do :) Plus, I am not sure about its contribution to the higher center of gravity. What would I gain from a 5" lift over 3" from PRG or SLR (besides the height)?

What would be the major benefits of the TC UCA combination over the lift offered by SLR?

Here is a list of things that are important to me:

1. Retain as many stock components as possible.
2. Increase travel and flex.
3. Reliability.
4. Being able to replace custom parts if they get damaged in the future.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i'm not sure if that base price for the 3" from SLR includes shocks
http://www.spencerlowracing.com/SLR_05-07_Suspension.pdf
here's the price list from SLR....

PRG and Alcan both make great products (so does SLR)....any way you go you will not be disappointed.

i know for a fact PRG stands behind the quality (and durability) of their products, and i'm sure Alcan and SLR would also....if you go with the PRG and Alcan setup you will have less custom parts to worry about.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the base 3" with non-reservoir shocks will cost around $2K. I am willing to spend $2K tops on the lift itself. I hope that I will be able to install it by myself with some help.

$2,000 -- lift
$1,000 -- tires + alignment

I am trying to setup an expedition vehicle rather than a rock-banger or something that is taken to Moab once a year. That's why durability and quality is extremely important as opposed to price. If PRG/Alcan combo gives the best results, then be it.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It comes down to quality of the parts and the performance. Just because it's bigger does not mean it's better.

To make the 5" Calmini lift you will need to add quite a bit more. Take a look at Sexterra's build. He did the Calmini 5" lift the right way.

With the RadFlo, TC and Alcan, you might only get 3" of lift, but you are getting all top quality parts.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
The PRG set-up (TC uca's/Radflo coilovers) with Alcan springs in back and Radflo or Bilstein shocks in back is best all-around performance set-up.
The PRG or AC shackle with the Alcan's is even better because it will allow the springs to do their job better.

The Calmini lift is just that, a "lift"... no performance gain. If you check out S_e_xterra's set-up you'll see he only used the front parts of the calmiini kit in order to fit those 35's in there... to gain performance he added Radflo coilovers, TC uca's and has alcan springs in the back.

The SLR kit is almost like the sum of Sexterra's lift. You get the 5" bracket lift and all the hi-perf parts (kings, SLR uca's, etc) in one big bundle. And that run you about $3500-4000.

As far as your list of "what's important to you" goes... do the PRG/ Alcan set-up and you're golden!

·
on line
423 Posts
Make sure you factor in shipping as well.

If you are mechanically inclined, you could do all of the lifts listed. Save some cash to buy your tires and have the satisfaction of doing it all yourself.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
prod39 said:
Where do you hail from ?
San Francisco Bay Area.

I am engineering inclined but I have not done any major work on cars; therefore, I am still considering getting a shop to do work for me. It sounds like I'll go with a PRG setup because what I have gathered from your feedback is what I thought myself. I'd rather have a dependable 3" than a cheaper 5" lift for some other outstanding reasons.

Now I just have to see what my company posts for revenue for q3 and q4 of 2007 :)

·
on line
423 Posts
vman said:
[ It sounds like I'll go with a PRG setup because what I have gathered from your feedback is what I thought myself. I'd rather have a dependable 3" than a cheap high lift.
By cheap, do you mean inexpensive or poor quality? The Calmini lift is not a poor quality kit. It is really solid and performs as described.

If I were doing this all again, I would be torn between my current Calmini and the PRG/Alcan set up. That, after running the Calmini for 8 months. There are qualities of both that are worthy of looking into. If I hated my lift, I would tell you to run away from it, but I don't, so I won't. I have been offroad several times, and been happy.

You won't go wrong with your choice of the PRG set up from what I have read. I do not think you would go wrong with the Calmini set up either.

Best of luck.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JtaoJ said:
vman said:
[ It sounds like I'll go with a PRG setup because what I have gathered from your feedback is what I thought myself. I'd rather have a dependable 3" than a cheap high lift.
By cheap, do you mean inexpensive or poor quality? The Calmini lift is not a poor quality kit. It is really solid and performs as described.

If I were doing this all again, I would be torn between my current Calmini and the PRG/Alcan set up. That, after running the Calmini for 8 months. There are qualities of both that are worthy of looking into. If I hated my lift, I would tell you to run away from it, but I don't, so I won't. I have been offroad several times, and been happy.

You won't go wrong with your choice of the PRG set up from what I have read. I do not think you would go wrong with the Calmini set up either.

Best of luck.

Sorry, did not mean to offend you! I wanted to say 'cheaper' since it is cheaper to get Calmini as opposed to the PRG setup outlined above. Thanks for you PM, btw.

·
on line
735 Posts
If you could press the oem rubber bushings in the TC uca's, then I'd have already done that lift. I hate side effects (in this case squeaky poly bushings). I'm only looking for a 2" lift to fit 285's, nothing more.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mike100 said:
If you could press the oem rubber bushings in the TC uca's, then I'd have already done that lift. I hate side effects (in this case squeaky poly bushings). I'm only looking for a 2" lift to fit 285's, nothing more.
That was my next question :) I assume that with a 3" lift + melt mod I will not have any issues with 285s Cooper S/Ts.

·
on line
423 Posts
If you do the melt mod, you can run 285 75 r 16's no problemo. The lift gives you some clearance above the tires.

Oh, and I was not offended. Just making a clarification on the Calmini lift. My plan is to move to a similar front set up as SEXterra, but not ready to do that yet due to funds and other projects.

·
on line
111 Posts
mike100 said:
There are zirk fittings with the TC UCA bushings - you just grease them and they should be noise free for life with minimal maintainence I would think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts