Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I'd vote for nothing less than a C2D. I don't care what speed. Even if it's the low end 1.8 or 1.6. But really a Core2 Duo at the very least.

Just my .02

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd vote for nothing less than a C2D. I don't care what speed. Even if it's the low end 1.8 or 1.6. But really a Core2 Duo at the very least.

Just my .02
I agree with you Phoenix, the C2Duo blows the dual core away, but since his budget dictates that it's gotta be not more than $500, I don't think he'll find a laptop with that CPU and his price range.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I vote netbook!!

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I didn't notice the 500 dollar budget. Because I'm oblivious.

On a related note, I have Windows 7 Running on a Centrino 2Ghz with 2GB of RAM and it's fantastic. So keeping it cheap is a realistic goal.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I DO NOT WANNA PAY MORE THAT 500 BUX
Under fi-hunnit for 2 more days if you are interested.

320 gb hard drive = plenty of room or her pix and music
Plus it runs at 2.1Ghz with 4gb RAM (So like MdPhoenix just said ^ it should run pretty solid with windows 7)

IMO (which may or may not mean anything ;)) this is a pretty solid deal, especially for a 13 year old, nothing too fancy, but will do what she wants

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11500648&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|84|56670&N=4017745 4294965745&Mo=4&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sony Viao's are like any other computer. They work great and last long, only if you take care of them. If you can get a refurbished one with the features you described and warranty, I say get it. I wouldn't spend alot on a computer for a 13 year old and $500 is more then enough for a nice computer.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Something else to consider, more than 3gb of RAM isn't going to do you any good without a 64-bit CPU and OS.

EDIT: But if the difference in price between 2, 3, and 4 is negligible, then don't worry about it. It's not going to hurt to have 4GB on an x32 system.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, I picked up that acer laptop from costco and it's pretty sweet! Once you remove the bloatware and fiddle with a couple of settings, it's nice...4GB of RAM and it comes with windows 7 home premium 64bit version. Total with tax, discount, and e-recycling fee came out to $547.66. And it includes the extra year warranty so two years total. Not bad.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Walmart had a 300 dollar PC for a while. 15" screen. AMD CPU, like 4 GB of RAM. Not bad for a cheap laptop.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
It's still an Acer for Pete's sake!
And then... (I wish i could type the voice from the drive-thru in Dude, Where's my car ;))

And it includes the extra year warranty so two years total. Not bad.
Buy it with your co-branded Costco American Express, and AmEx tacks on a third year warranty ;)
1st year - manufacturer
2nd - Costco's Concierge
3rd - American Express takes care of what the other two woulda done..

I work at Costco and my primary job is membership ;)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Well, I picked up that acer laptop from costco and it's pretty sweet! Once you remove the bloatware and fiddle with a couple of settings, it's nice...4GB of RAM and it comes with windows 7 home premium 64bit version. Total with tax, discount, and e-recycling fee came out to $547.66. And it includes the extra year warranty so two years total. Not bad.
Hope your house hasn't burned down yet
http://consumerist.com/2010/01/acer-recalls-22000-defective-laptops.html

21 - 36 of 36 Posts