Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Announcing the Grand Opening of OZ's Desert Drive-in Theater, April 12th, 2008 somewhere on the Mojave Trail (SCCX Run 4/12/08 Details: http://www.sccxterra.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3565 ). Our Single-plex Desert-Vision 106" Screen will bring an enjoyable movie-going experience right to your very own primitive campground! And it's all FREE!

This Excursion's Main Feature:

Nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Screenplay of 1965; the cold-war classic Dr. Strangelove (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) Starring Peter Sellars and George C. Scott!

Stanley Kubrick's celebrated black comedy classic about an "accidental" nuclear attack was nominated for four 1964 Academy Awards. Created during a time when the paranoia of the Cold War was at its peak, the film still seems surprisingly relevant today. Convinced the Commies are polluting America's "precious bodily fluids," a crazed General (Sterling Hayden) orders a surprise nuclear air strike on the USSR. His aide Captain Mandrake (Peter Sellers) furiously attempts to figure out a recall code to stop the bombing. Meanwhile, the U.S. President (Sellers again) gets on the hot line to convince the drunken Soviet premier that the impending attack is a silly mistake, while the President's adviser (and ex-Nazi scientist) Dr. Strangelove (Sellers once more) confirms the existence of the dreaded Doomsday Machine -- a new secret Soviet retaliatory device guaranteed to end the human race once and for all!

BONUS: Feature II

The 1949 Oscar-Winning WWII Drama Twelve O'Clock High Starring Gregory Peck and Dean Jagger!

The story of a hard-as-nails general who takes over a bomber pilot unit suffering from low morale and whips them into fighting shape. Set in the early days of daylight bombing raids over Germany, General Frank Savage must take command of a "hard luck" bomber group. Much of the story deals with his struggle to whip his group into a disciplined fighting unit in spite of heavy losses, and withering attacks by German fighters over their targets. Actual combat footage is used in this tense war drama.

Show starts promptly at dusk!

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XterraDude said:
Except the fact that you will probably have to keep your car running and we are all going to die from asphyxiation :)
Nope, I've been shopping a portable generator. 6 hours of clean, quiet (less than 57 db), stable power on a gallon of gas. Small too: 17.7" x 9.4" x15" - its Honda's EU1000i.

·
on line
750 Posts
Nice! I will probably be working somewhere around Indio, but if I am in transit between there and home I might try to stop in.

·
on line
874 Posts
you said its comming to a trail near me...so when will it be in new england and on what trail will it be on?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
i would love to see some photos of this if possible when you guys do it. what a cool idea!!!

·
on line
874 Posts
Oz said:
marzterra said:
you said its comming to a trail near me...so when will it be in new england and on what trail will it be on?
So you believe everything you read ?
well if its on the internet it must be true!!!!!! :blackeye:

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it went GREAT - Got a little cold (chilly desert wind) so only a handful of peeps left at the films end. But when the weather warms up it will be super great.

Technically speaking everything worked great. The generator worked sweet and I stuck it behind some big boulders, ran an extension cord to it and you couldn't even hear it.

Stay tuned for picts as I am probably the first one to get home so the others will probably post picts soon. Mine are copying off the flash drive as I am typing this.

We did 145 miles off road this W/E. IT WAS AWESOME

1 - 20 of 24 Posts