Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I put in an order for a highlift but cancelled it as, not to sound like a baby, the thing scares me. I was reading posts about them on other forums with the nick name "widow maker". I am pretty mechanically inclined but not really willing to take one in the jaw trying to get my truck unstuck.

I dont offroad in rocky terrain mostly the pine barrens where my biggest fear is getting stuck in the mud. Is there a favorite "come along" amongst the members of this board to use in a bind?

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Id think a come along would be less safe than the hi lift. What if the rope/cable/chain breaks that your using with the come along? Its going to blast the user! You can use a hi lift as a come along too if you wanted. I suggest you get the Bill Burke DVD "Getting unstuck." Then after watching it, you can be sure you will know how to use the hi lift effectively and safely. Just do a search on google for the dvd and order it. Its worth the money.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
A come a long will be just as dangerous as a Hi-Lift. If used properly a Hi-Lift is an invaluable tool when wheeling.

It's best asset is being able to lift the truck, not pull it. This can help you get unstuck in mud as well as using it as a come-along.

·
on line
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about that bag lift that inflates off the truck exhaust. Would anyone even consider using it?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you spent a lot of time in sand it might work out well. I am not so sure how it would work in mud (and not to mention that you have to put it back in your vehicle covered in it) and rocks.

Mosi did a review on the ARB one on here some place. Do a search.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
The hi-lift can be a very dangerous tool if not used properly. A local OR club I'm part of requires new people to take a safety course on all OR equipment.

·
on line
197 Posts

·
on line
564 Posts
Kahuna said:
the thing about a come-a-long is i think they are rated at like 900 lbs...
Looks like the come-alongs are rated at 1 ton and up...come-along link

·
on line
3,592 Posts
If you have stock, only lifting point is the Hitch point. Rest of the X is plastic, & the sliders are for looks only Will bust under load from the Hi lift.. The hilift will work for Winching, till you can afford Real bumpers Like shrocks. front & back & sliders. Real metal :)

But, I carry it anyway's... just never know..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts