Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to make a trip up to CO around the end of June for some camping. I'd like to put the X to use while I'm up there too of course. I've bee looking at trails.com but there are so many mountian passes that seem great. Hard to chose for my first camping/wheelin trip in CO. I"m going to have at least a jeep wrangler with me, but not sure we will be looking for anything too extreme. Any recomendations of some trails and camping spots?

·
on line
316 Posts
try traildamage.com

theres tons of trails on there.

·
on line
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That site is nice. One question, is it ok to pull off the trail just anywhere and camp for the night? Or do you have to be in designated areas?

·
on line
86 Posts
Depends on the area, BLM lands, yea, you can do just about whatever, national forests, yea, you can probably camp wherever, but not if it's a high traffic area, national parks, probably not. Just keep an eye out for no camping signs. It's different everywhere. You'll probably find some snow at the end up June still, but most stuff will probably be open.

·
on line
117 Posts
When are you planning on going? and what part of CO?

I am in Albuquerque and would love to join you if the timing is right?

·
on line
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so a rough plan on where to go would be to start in Colorado springs and head to Buena Vista, taking our time, maybe two nights to get there, camping. Do a white water trip on that third day, then take another two night to get up to Vail area. Then take the highway back to denver and head back to Oklahoma. Of course, the only time I want to see a highway is on the way back to denver. Any sugestions on a route to make this happen? Again, my X is stock, and my buddy's jeep is pretty much stock too, and obviously we need places to camp for the night. Its looking like this is going to happen around the end of june, early july. Thanks guys

·
on line
111 Posts
End of June a lot of the passes (Mosquito, Perl, etc.) probably won't be open yet. If varies from year to year, but we've gotten a lot of snow so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts