Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. So, I'm moving to your great state in the next 2 months. I'll be out there the first 2 weeks in April to go house shopping. I'm looking to be near Denver (about 20-30 minutes outside of downtown). I've been looking around Arvada, Morrison, Littleton and that general area (west of the city). Any more specific areas to look at or stay away from? If your from one of the aforementioned areas, what are your likes and dislikes about that area? Thanks guys.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
I've been in Golden for 5+ years and love it. Great size town, friendly , 45 minutes from skiing, 20 min to downtown Denver, 1/2 hour to Boulder. Morrison is nice too. Arvada and Littleton are more variable, mostly because they are much larger.

·
on line
807 Posts
I am soooo jealous. Living in CO is my dream.

·
on line
10 Posts
You might also consider Littleton,and Castle Rock. Both are south of downtown no more than 30 minute drive. Parker and some parts of Aurora are also nice. Good Luck!

·
on line
86 Posts
Golden is nice if you are going to be driving up in the mountains via I70 a lot. Cuts a good bit of time off the trip. You might even look into Evergreen. It is a bit more pricey, and depending on where in Denver you work, might be a bit far. I lived in Boulder for 5.5 years. Cool place, but not everybody's cup of tea. I fit right in driving my SUV to whole foods for grocery shopping. ;)

The rest of the stuff is just generic suburbs.

I live near Aspen now. Only a 3.5 hour commute to Denver ;) But I'm back there occasionally, lots of friends in the Denver area. Good luck with the house hunt.

·
on line
10 Posts
you might also consider colorado springs. It's a little more than 30 minutes away but it's real nice. it's about 45-1hr. away. i did that comute for about 4 years.

·
on line
32 Posts
I'm up in Thornton. Pretty good, I must say. Yeah, getting to mountains is a bit of extra drive, but housing is a lot cheaper in Thornton (I'm actually signing a contract on a house in 1 week...). Stay away from Aurora - houses are cheap, but neighborhood is... ahem... not too good. No offense to anyone :)
Arvada is great. Golden is fantastic - I want to live there, but houses are a lot more expensive than most of the rest of Denver.
Tell us more about your preferences - price range for the house, etc.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Creek said:
I have a max of $275K give or take. I want a 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage, basement, and a somewhat big fenced in yard (i have a Golden). I found this yesterday...hopefully, it'll still be there when I get there.
http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=627111#
the 'panoramic view' link on that page shows it better
That spot is nice and close to Standley Lake, and has easy access to 36 for a trip into Boulder or Denver. On the minus side, it is only a block from Wadsworth Blvd and will therefore have a fair amount of traffic noise. Wadsworth gets really jammed during prime hours and it would be your primary route to I-70 and the mountains. It looks to be a decent price for that size house and lot.

·
on line
666 Posts
I think I've no lived on all but the north east sides of our city.

South Aurora towards parker is nice, and the neighborhoods are great, but it is a bit more of a drive to the mountains.

Parts of Littleton are cool, some pricy, and some kinda rough.

Lakewood in my humble opinion is the best with Morrison, and Golden right next to it figuratively, and literally. The best spot in Lakewood is around Green Mountain. Great View of the city, and pending if you are on the north or south side great view of the mountains as well.

Arvada is not what it used to be. Grew up there, and it has gone down a bit also my opinion. It is growing, and on the rise again, but the best places to be are on the north, and west sides.

Parts of Wheatridge are great too close to Denver West, and Colorado Mills.

Castlerock is nice too, but the commute on I-25 can get down right irritating.

I'm lucky, as of today I get to stay in my home city. I had been working for an aircraft manufacturing company, that went bankrupt last month, and we were all laid off. But we may have found our new way forward, so here I stay. Didn't really want to go to Kansas anyway!!!

·
on line
666 Posts
Wichita it was to be. I did like Wichita when I went out there, supposedly my namesake homestead is out there. But I'm from here...

Sorry for the thread jack as well.

·
on line
2,651 Posts
I live in Golden and I love it there other than the wind. Its nice because you feel like you are a part of a big city but then it can feel like you are separated from it all as well. The night life isn't all that great in Golden but downtown Denver isn't all that far away. The other nice thing about Golden is that there are mulitple highways for getting around to other parts of town. There is 93 to Boulder, I-70 East to Arvada and on to the airport, I-70 West to the mountains, C-470 for getting down south or to US285 (Fairplay/Southpark), 6th East to downtown, 6th west to Blackhawk. I work downtown and its about 30-45 minutes in rush hour traffic, 15 minutes at night. Traffic does blow during rush hour times and getting to the mountains on the weekend.

Other places to look at on the west side are Applewood, Green Mountain, Evergreen, Gennesse ($$$$)

·
on line
97 Posts
I live in Arvada and its a great area. 15 min commute to downtown, 5 min to Golden, 1 hour + to major ski resorts, and easy to navigate from. I moved here from PA about 2.25 yrs ago and lived downtown for 1st year. It was nice to be around everything but was too noisy and expensive. My realestate angent suggested Arvada since it is close to alot of good items. I would agree after living here for a while now. Close to everything you want to do, resonable on cost of housing, quiet enough with out being to elderly feeling, very low crime rate and nice family neighborhoods. I would agree that Aurora should be taken with a grain of salt. I would also say that parker/lone tree area is nice but the roads leading into the downtown area clog up fast in the morinings so I would personally aviod that area plus there housing market is more pricey. West is best...

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey all...so house hunting is going well. I think Golden is where I'll be calling home.

On another note, can anyone recommend a shop to do an alignment and brakes (maybe)? I would totally check/change the brakes myself, but without my jack and a driveway to work in, it's kind of hard.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Creek said:
On another note, can anyone recommend a shop to do an alignment and brakes (maybe)? I would totally check/change the brakes myself, but without my jack and a driveway to work in, it's kind of hard.
I've got the Firestone lifetime alignment and use the shop a few miles east of the house you liked, 10380 W Colfax. I've been in there a couple of times and have been satisfied with there work. The Nissan dealer (Empire Lakewood Nissan) seems OK as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts