Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Meet N Greet/Meeting went well and had a good turn out along with some newer members.
The main discussion was to create a name for ourselves and adopt 1-2 trails that are on the danger list.... being that there is no money or help to keep these trails going and are potentially going to be shut down. It was a no brainer for all folks present. BUT we need to find out all the details on how to approach this and get the ball rollin. Golf286 (Bill) will be our fearless leader and will get all the info needed to proceed so that when wheelin season 2014 is here we can start full speed ahead. Ongoing details to follow.....

The next hot topic was CB Radios. We have never had a club type of vibe for us Coloradans until now, now that we have expanded to so many (active) members and well CB'S NEED TO BE REQUIRED! whether you wheel once a year, once in a while or every damn weekend.... They are enjoyable for chatter and inside jokes or seeing something on the trail that you wouldn't normally be privy to. Also as a safety measure for your own self and the other members on the trail in front or behind you. GONEMOAB has made it a requirement so since we have become so big and trail days are getting larger and longer we need to have these. you can have a portable, handheld or in cabin mounted CB. There are plenty of us with install experience or your friendly near by truck stop has everything you need. Setup's are as cheap as $100 and go up from there depending on wants/needs/preferences. You have plenty of time this winter leading up to the next season to get this done.

Last topic of discussion was name plates/name badges or name decals. There are many people who are just joining and may or may not be good with names, and this also ties in with the CB's. If we all made our screen name and real names and put it on the rear window or mount on the spare tire if you have a rear bumper. If you are a die hard wheeler I suggest we get with "Creepy" and see what he can do for decals to put under the rear window brake light. for those who wheel now and then or do not want it up there permanetly then make an 8x10 sheet of paper and get it laminated and mount with zip ties or tape. helps us start the remember names and helps to shout on the CB if you need to help the person in front of you get spotted over something or stop the group ahead, etc... I know for us we have a **** ton of stickers so what is one more?!
I will attach a picture of ideas and see what people think then I can contact "Creepy"

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thanks, Bri.
A little more info. We are seriously considering organizing a formal 501.c that will allow us to be stewards of the trails and community. It may take some time and we need to gauge participation. However, there is a need for trail stewards/advocates and we all share a common bond of Nissans and Off-roading. We all get along great and share this bond so why not organize it a little and make a difference while paying it forward to keep trails open?
The idea is to have a local Nissan Off-road group so we can include Pathys, Frontys, Titans, etc.
First, lets agree on a name, a mission, and a plan. Second, lets keep having fun and continue making that our priority. Exciting times. Lets keep up the momentum and get this going.
More to come.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
I'm all for adopting trials but really cbs shouldn't need to be required. I understand there helpful but new members will get deterred away of we start having requirements. Just my opinion

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I'm all for adopting trials but really cbs shouldn't need to be required. I understand there helpful but new members will get deterred away of we start having requirements. Just my opinion Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Great point Treff, Kelly and I have an extra portable that I'll put in the rig so in case someone needs one its available to them for the run.

·
TNX Administrator
20,234 Posts
Once you get a club name / description together then we can add your club to the Sub-Forums : Regional Xterra Clubs for your club use.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm all for adopting trials but really cbs shouldn't need to be required. I understand there helpful but new members will get deterred away of we start having requirements. Just my opinion

Newbie here - I didn't flinch when it was brought up, actually thought it was a good point. But I'm into buying gadgets, so...

Would like to hear some thoughts on other things that are a good idea for basic equipment:

Fire extinguisher (should have this anyway)
Jack? (need to be high-lift?)
Winch (I have just a simple hand-crank)
Recovery straps (as well as other recovery tools, such as shovel, etc.)
Air tank?

Anything else? I'm sure most is covered here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sounds like a great plan. I was a little surprised that there was no formal club in the CO region, especially with all of the good trails. I would be interested in membership if and when this takes off.

As for the CB requirement, that is fine with me, makes complete sense to be able to communicate with the group while on the trail. I also think there should be a "basic" needs list for trail runs. Recovery equip, etc. Not too much to scare people away but enough to where you are prepared if something happens.

I look forward to hearing more on this subject. Sounds fun!

·
on line
4,196 Posts
I'm going to disagree with you Treff. :) This CB requirement is in favor of newbies because it gives them the benefit of knowledge from more experienced members while on the trail. Listening to the "chatter" gives insight as to what is ahead on the trail, as well as just simply what is going on ahead of them, & adds to group cohesion.

And, Treff, you need to get out on more runs with us. I don't think we've been on a run together since Bunce/Ironclads/T33, & I've been on a lot of runs since then..:):)

On that note, Pole Hill (east of Estes Park) is open & un-gated until December 1st. Maybe next weekend??

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Sounds like a great idea everyone. I hope there will be room for those of us former Nissan owners who are still active with the group as well (although I'm sure I'll take my fair share of abuse for driving a Jeep ;)).

Also I could probably be convinced to show for a Pole Hill run next weekend assuming it's still open and good to run.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sounds like a great idea everyone. I hope there will be room for those of us former Nissan owners who are still active with the group as well (although I'm sure I'll take my fair share of abuse for driving a Jeep ;)). Also I could probably be convinced to show for a Pole Hill run next weekend assuming it's still open and good to run.
Your grandfathered in Mike!!! As far as the abuse/grief goes we'll try and limit to a few Heep comments prior to the run(although I can't make any guarantee's)
Bill

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would be down for a late season run now that I will be back in town! We should open another thread for this run.

·
on line
4,196 Posts
I would think that our group is ok with anyone who is pro-offroad showing up. :):)

I went up there today (Pole Hill, near Estes Park, that is) just to see the extent of the flood damage & to see what it looked like. I was not prepared for how hammered the Lyons area, plus the area west of Lyons was, despite living in Longmont & having heard all the reports. Having driven by that area for the last 30 years or so, I was stunned! (It brought tears to my eyes that were not expected!! It was humbling...:(:( ...) The river channels were expanded beyond recognition. 1000 year flood...I'm now a believer...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
A co worker went up to Estes last weekend and heard similar reports from him, even more reason to look at Pole Hill or the Ironclads/T33 Planecrash areas for some club volunteer work.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
I'm going to disagree with you Treff. :) This CB requirement is in favor of newbies because it gives them the benefit of knowledge from more experienced members while on the trail. Listening to the "chatter" gives insight as to what is ahead on the trail, as well as just simply what is going on ahead of them, & adds to group cohesion.

And, Treff, you need to get out on more runs with us. I don't think we've been on a run together since Bunce/Ironclads/T33, & I've been on a lot of runs since then..:):)

On that note, Pole Hill (east of Estes Park) is open & un-gated until December 1st. Maybe next weekend??
Ya I agree just throwing out the other side I just see enforcing the rule to be difficult at most. Also I do need to go out on a run with ya and the guys, just finically got hit where it hurts recently but I plan on making a stronger effort coming up

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Good luck with your new organization. I think its a great idea. If we hadn't moved back to the south, I would I have loved to have been a part of it.

If you guys are going to require CBs, then a great solution would be to offer cheap hand helds for first timers to borrow.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wish I could have made the meet-n-greet. I ended up having to work all weekend.

I think forming an official group and adopting a couple trails is a great idea. We've got plenty of members. After talking to Bill on a few runs, I'd been thinking we should get more involved in the offroading community.

Did y'all talk about any trails in particular to adopt? Is there a list somewhere of trails in danger?

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Work with the local ranger offices or BLM offices, or whomever happens to be the managing office of record for the trails of interest, to get put down as a sponsoring organization ... find out from them what the requirements are to sponsor (may include a club insurance policy), and consider getting some folks out to provide formal training (as a club event) on trail management and maintenance. Sponsorship to maintain a trail is more than just cleanup and keeping it looking nice ... there's science to the water management and control features that would be required and to minimizing the long term impact of trail use.

As a good first step, though (to formal trail sponsorship), consider just hosting a few clean-up days ... it's a good way to gauge people's interest and see if the general club membership is ready to "put their money where their mouth is". If there's not enough general momentum to support a few clean up days, I can see it being tough to up the ante to a formal sponsorship; as there's more work involved with that ... which would then put the weight all onto the few members who are the most gung-ho.

On the CBs and newbie requirements, I'd recommend having a probationary period or at least some loaners or what have you ... give folks a way to come out and participate as stockers, to at least get their feet wet. Maybe institute levels of membership, and give runs qualification ...

I've long thought that it would be a good idea to host one or two "newbie" runs at the start of a season, and maybe even periodically throughout the season - depending on interest. So that folks could come out and run a stock friendly trail to get a feel for what all is required and what this whole thing is all about, without needing to get themselves any more equipment than would be required for a day hike.

I could see having a set of graduated requirements, and then plan runs to fit those ... for example: a "Stock Friendly" run could be open to anyone, even folks who aren't yet members but are interested in joining. There could be another step up, for folks who are "probationary members" ... they've joined the club, but don't (or haven't yet decided that they may) want to modify their trucks or buy a bunch of gear. The final level could be "fully vested" and would require comms gear, full club membership (and whatever dues, number of runs, time in probationary period, etc ... whatever you all decide is required), full recovery equipment (whatever that means), and a gentleman's (or gentlewoman's) agreement about not putting yourself in over your head or into situations where you force the group to get you out of something stupid ... stuff like that.

Anyway, the tenor I got from this thread was one of soliciting additional opinions, forgive me if not ... feel free to ignore my comments if they're not helpful, it won't offend me ... in fact, I'm sure some or all of this is stuff that's already been discussed in some form. It's just that I've had those ideas kicking around since the days when Creek, CG/Coldsmoke, Robust57, kneebuster and I started talking about rebuilding CO-X/FRXC/RMX for the 2nd gen set (there was a decent presence & 1st gen club, once upon a time ... the old guard have more of that history - think AlpineSpirit, GrandpaX & cyclemut) ... kneebuster even went and got a url or two under one of those names, so if you're interested you may want to ping him to see if he'd transfer it. We never really got enough momentum to get it going in an appreciable way, unfortunately ... so it'd be good to see this finally happen, I hope it does.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts