Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stumbled across this post in fjcruiserforums.com and was really liking the way this guy did his Coleman rack install on his FJ. I know the rack is too wide to fit in between the crossbars but with a little fabrication, it could quite possibly fit between there. I have a cousin who welds and maybe he could just chop a couple inches off each side and find some way to secure it. What do you guys think? I just like the fact that its pretty stealthy and yet strong. Shoot, if i screwed up, im only in the hole $70 as opposed to 300+ with the Yakima. Yay or Nay? Here's the post from the FJ board. I know i know its an FJ board but i got a friend on there so i frequent it once in a while.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...h/47598-coleman-roof-rack-basket-install.html

·
on line
1,618 Posts
I saw that too. I'm not in the mood to cut one up, I know I would burn right through that tube if I tried to weld it. I have a Yakima Basketcase between my bars, and it is narrow. If you can find those clamps to fit our tubes, post up a link. I want to use a set for a shovel and ax mount.

·
on line
628 Posts
If I wasn't leaving for a few months I'd check with a local Fab shop on making some clamps like that. The guy who owns it really doesn't know what he is doing (but he has a bunch of employees that do) but he loves to try and make things for people with his machines. When I get back (roughly May 10th), I'll get with him, but it will depend on how long it will take him to make something like that, because I will be moving to New York in June. I would check with local Fab shops around you that are running Water Jet Cutters, they can make stuff like that easily with those.

·
on line
294 Posts

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Epic228 said:
Thanks for posting the link. They make great stuff. But the clamps that the FJ guys have been getting are cheap, around $10 a pair. They are used for misc. race chassis mounting (fuel cells, radiators etc). I never have been able to find some to fit our tubes. Haven't looked in awhile though.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im gonna talk to my cousin and see whats up with the welding part. I think im gonna try this as soon as we got our house. This way, i can still use my looking roof basket and still have the storage capacity in between the side rails. Its not gonna happen for a few weeks though as we are awaiting word on our house. Ill let you all know whats up.

·
on line
254 Posts
Must be something in the air. This morning I called Rover Racks in Fl. and talked to them about a basket rack to fit inside the rails of the X. http://www.roverracks.com/VoyagerRacks.htm They have the measurements of the second gen and can fab it in about a week. I would like it to extend into where the basket now fits, he asked if I wanted it to dip down to follow the contour or not, cost is the same. The top sits about an eighth inch above the factory rails. $499 plus $50 shipping. Galvanized steel and powder coated. He (Andy Nicks) said the first couple of years they struggled with coatings and materials because of rust but they have it down pretty solid now. Sounds like what happened to Chug’s rack.

Using the Coleman and cutting it to fit is a lot of work if you look at the basket itself. Plus like North Shore said welding it would be a PIA. To do all that and have it rust would chaff my butt a bit. Once it warms up think I’ll go for the custom fab from these guys.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
that one looks really good. the price is a little high but i like it a lot. please keep us posted!

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Looks ok cold iron, but i dont think its 400 bucks cool. I think we would all be better off if we paid lifeinthesouth to build his low profile roof racks and sell them. For what these things are used for, i just couldnt see spending the money. Lifeinthesouths basket is great, and not a bank buster.

·
on line
254 Posts
Yes he said a drill would be required. That can be sealed easily enough and it would be pretty much a permanent mount for what I’m looking for anyhow.

Haven’t given up on lifeinthesouth's rack but the flat vertical surface of the angle iron sort of screams at me wind resistance and road noise. Could be wrong though, waiting on more feedback. Plus with round tube you can use standard mounting hardware for accessories. I will have them build it up at least an inch above the factory rails for that and also allow better tie down points.

It is closer to $500 not $400. But in the summer I will use it almost every weekend, have a couple of items that don’t fit well in the cargo space but it almost doesn’t justify hooking up the trailer. $800 cheaper than the Gobi and that is the one I have a hard time justifying. Then again if I had it think I'd wonder how I lived without it.

mcampana you could drop off that ladder you don't use on your way to St. Paul this summer. Whatcha think, $200 delivered?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
you are talking about lifeinthesouth's basket like he plans to sell them. is this the case because i am down for that at a cheaper price. and life's require no drilling if i am not mistaken, yes?

·
on line
254 Posts
Can’t speak for Mark but I don’t think lifeinthesouth intended on selling them, he came up with the idea and design. And it is a pretty good one. You could PM him to see what he says about making and selling one. If you add up materials and labor plus fab shop and shipping cost, paint\powder coat then the Rover racks at $400 standard $500 extended are reasonable. If you use it or have the need.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Why spend the time hacking up a Coleman rack? Just start from scratch... http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=711 As for wind resistance, looks like the whole thing is below the factory gearbox/wind fairing for the most part. If you are really worried about it, weld or screw on a small piece of sheet/strap at angle on the front piece. Then, when you are done, sell the Coleman rack on Craigslist to offset the cost. Norshor is right... that is some thin wall tubing to try to be welding; not that it can't be done, but will certainly take some decent welding skills and patience. Thin wall material isn't very forgiving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts