Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten used to the high RPM cold engine start, like 1900 rpm's, but the engine rattle that last about one second is pretty loud. The dealer says THEY ALL DO THAT and that its the valve train getting oil pressure etc. My question is how many of your XTerras start up with a very short but prounced engine rattle when cold? Thanks much.

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thaks for the reply, although it has always made noise even with the nissan original filter and with the high dollar purolator filter i put on. I'm still wondering if others have the same noises or its back to the dealer. thanks,

·
on line
735 Posts
All it means is that your valvetrain bleeds off a little pressure. Even $80k water cooled Porsches did it until they redisgned the lifters. I guess mine doesn't do it because it never struck me as odd sounding. If they came out with a better part, I'd be reluctant to crack open an otherwise good running motor.

·
on line
280 Posts
Wanted to add my 2 cents on this subject since it's now getting into the heart of winter time. I too had that noise at start up. I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil and either Wix or OEM oil filters since my 2nd oil change. On my last oil change I splurged on a Mobil 1 oil filter and guess what? The start up noise is gone! I made the change right before an 1,800 miile Thanksgiving trip to Atlanta and Hilton Head Island. I averaged 23-24 mpg on the trip. To me it's totally worth the extra cost to protect my engine and I will be using Mobil 1 filters for the foreseeable future unless they come out with something better.

·
on line
155 Posts
Well, at least I'm not the only one now. My X does the same thing at startup. Like you said, for about a second or so. Oil change is coming up, so I'll try it as well and see what happens. Thanks for the tip bluzfan!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts