Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Can you explain that for me? I have seen many intakes with the open cone. Now I understand that with the open cone you get more air but the air is hot is it not? Is the volant just better because it is a bigger intake but still enclosed? I thought the entire purpose was to get more air but also cooler air. Does keeping in enclosed actually somehow produce colder air?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
it's a box like the stock intake, keeps the hot air in the engine bay away from the filter and allows the intake to pull cooler air from other areas.

see image for picture of the box.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
"Does keeping in enclosed actually somehow produce colder air?"

It is as simple as that. The volant fits right up to the hole in the fender that the nissan air intake uses. The volant air box is huge, the tubing is way bigger and the filter cone is pretty big too. I posted the part number for the amsoil filter on this forum. I bought the amsoil filter, does a better job and all you do to clean it is give a few taps, and its frigging huge.

So yeah, it it isnt enclosed, its not much of a cold air intak, its sucking hot engine air. The volant is totaly enclosed, biger box, big filter (i recomend get the amsoil upgrade, its bigger, better filtration too). So its as simple as it sounds, really. Colsed box will get air from outside the engine compartment, the others like the k&n, or which ever other ones you may see, just suck air from all over, which includes the hot angine air.

The photo wilgr posted is similar, but not the Xterra volant. The xterra's is like twice as big. If i decide to not be lazy, i snap some photos of mine and the amsoil filter inside.

·
on line
564 Posts
mcampana said:
...Decent mpg increase...

How much of an increase in mpg have you gotten?

Rob

·
on line
149 Posts
^ I have some video's of my intake I can put on here...it's a K&N. I am at work though and it is home on the computer, which I won't be home until ~ 3am. Use to have it on putfile.com but they deleted it.... :angryfire:

·
on line
1,206 Posts
I have the Volant as well. I love it, the sound is awesome under heavy throttle, I noticed pretty good power increase and I also got about a 2-3 MPG increase. Cant go wrong with it, thats for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts