Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Greg and I swaped his Coils and AAL on Sunday. I noticed that when i hit a speed bump straight on, the front sus. goes up fine but when it drops, it makes a loud bang?? i'm guessing that is the shock reaching it's max length maybe? hoping that is normal.

For the AAL, I notice that if i stand behind the truck with the rear hatch open, and push down on the bumper and then let it up, i can hear/feel a double "bump bump" and it sounds as if it's coming from the walls of the truck. like maybe I messed something up with over/under tightning the shackle bolts?

Remember we swaped compleate leave springs and shock/coils. so the whole leaf was off, front and rear bolts. and U bolts of course.

I just want to make sure that this is either normal or if I should fix something? Thanks.

I took the rear shocks completely off and still get the same noise. its almost like something is notched somewhere on the shackle, so when it moves it "pops" out and then back in.. b/c you get that "bump bump" sound at the exact same spot. I also disconnected the sway bar to eliminate that too.

other then that the lift is sweet the feeling of the beefy coils is awesome, and my nose doesn't dive when i break anymore!

I do not seem to have the vibration that others have mentioned either.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have recently been getting that "clunk" in the front end. I didn't use to get it, but probably a little more than a month ago it showed up. I looked all over and can't figure out what it is. I guess it could be the shock. I'm not going to tell you it's a normal sound, but I got and it so far have not had any problems and can't find a problem.

The rear, I have no idea. Are the U-Bolts tight? It could be the center pin popping out of the axle and back in. I hope that is not it though as the u-bolts would have to be really loose.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Geez. I too am have noticed this. I have been all over the front end of the X. It only occurs occassionly.

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my lift has been very much used, so maybe it's just the timing of it all. I have Dynamix's old lift now.

I've retighted the U-bolts, not with a torque wrench yet tho.

I'm thinking the noise in the front is just the shock getting fully extended, like it's the insides hitting. the rear is beyond me!!

·
on line
1,114 Posts
That's the sound of your front shock at full extension. I have it too. We really need a longer shocks for the front. It's disappointing that we have so few options now.

Since I installed a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks on the rear, I do not have that clang problem back there.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I have it in the front too! and I have the Rancho adjustables up there. so i am extra worried about screwing them up

No problem with the rear because i have longer shocks back there

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have longer shocks in the rear as well. I even disconnected the shocks to see if they were the problem in the rear. With no shocks connected and one end of the sway bar disconnected it still made the same noise.
It drives fine, so I'm not gonna worry about it too much.

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did them last night! re painted them too, with a flat black rustolium industrial paint. they look really good too. It felt so awesome to stand on them and they not flex hardly at all. I guess need some Shrock stickers now, haha.

·
on line
641 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
I guess we have finally found one up side to having the coil spacers rather than the springs. :bom:
W/O the spacer your shock tops out and with the spacer your UCA hits the shock bucket. So it's a matter of choosing what you prefer to hit what. :geek:

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice. I guess I'd rather have the stiffer front end. How long will the shock last like this?

-I retightend everything down in the rear, and now i'm off to Roanoke again... I think everything should be ok.

side note, anyone know off hand what the idle RPM's should be? mine is idling close to 700 rpm, but it drops down below that every so often, and it just doesn't feel right...

by the way here is new picture of it lifted with the sliders!!

·
on line
641 Posts
yobuck said:
Nice. I guess I'd rather have the stiffer front end. How long will the shock last like this?
Many suspensions work with the shocks being the down travel limiting factor w/o damaging them. The opposite, having them hit when compressing would definitely damage the shock.

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool, just posted a new pic if you missed it.

I think everything should be ok, it still drives awesome, doesn't seem shakey or anything.

·
on line
315 Posts
UCA contact aside, how would a spacer not cause the same problem as a longer spring? I mean, both are raising the total length of the coilover, so I would think both would cause the shock to expand the same way. How else would you get lift without extending the shock? Maybe I'm missing something...

·
on line
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The coil is connected to the shock, so the coil is what extends the shock, if the stock coils do not have enough "spring" to force the shock to fully extend, then the shock will not extent fully. The spacers just add space between the top of the shock and the shock tower, so they do not extend the actual shock, only the push the whole assebly down if you will... hope that makes sense.

The AC coils replace the existing coils and add much more spring to the shock assembly, so now there is much more force pushing the shock to make it fully extended.

Hope that helps, im off for a quick 2.5 hour drive to Roanoke...

·
on line
641 Posts
armandov99 said:
UCA contact aside, how would a spacer not cause the same problem as a longer spring? I mean, both are raising the total length of the coilover, so I would think both would cause the shock to expand the same way. How else would you get lift without extending the shock? Maybe I'm missing something...
The longer AC spring and stiffer rate is what gives you the lift, but if doesn't allow for more extension, since the spring is compressed by the shock.

Maybe this picture from Dan can explain better what I'm trying to say:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts