Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking over all of the suspension kits available and have been wondering about the basic quality and ride of the different options available. I know that the new Sway A Ways are a top of the line but are out of my price range and feel it would be a bit overkill for a weekend warrior such as myself. I have come to the conclusion that rad flo coilovers are right behind the sway a ways but where do the nisstec coilovers stand.

I know the nisstec options are a bit cheaper so what is the level of performance sacrificed going with this cheaper option if any? I have searched hi and low for these answers on the forum but have found no postings that directly compare the performance differences between each of the options. Also, why do the nisstec offerings only allow for 2" of lift whereas the rad flows on PRG offer 2.5" Any help on this would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I know the nisstec options are a bit cheaper so what is the level of performance sacrificed going with this cheaper option if any? I have searched hi and low for these answers on the forum but have found no postings that directly compare the performance differences between each of the options. Also, why do the nisstec offerings only allow for 2" of lift whereas the rad flows on PRG offer 2.5" Any help on this would be great. Thanks.
Well, there's no real way to objectively judge the quality of rides between all the dozens/hundreds of possible suspension combinations without spending thousands of dollars and man-hours swapping them in and out. One option for comparison is looking up the spring and compression rates for the various components and drawing up a chart. In the end it all comes down to you - your idea of a great ride might not match up with mine (and I like ridin' rough).

As to the Radflos, my research seems to indicate that 2.5s aren't really necessary for most applications - I see them a lot on desert rigs where guys are jumping their trucks all over the place. The 2.0s will do fine. In terms of lift, in many cases anything over 2" will result in coil bucket contact unless you have afermarket upper control arms.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Like said by P1 it is somewhat suggestive.

There is a quality/reputation difference between companies. Sometimes more about reputation than quality. I run Radflo 2.0 from PRG, I have been happy with them. I have never owned a set of SAW shocks on anything, so I can't comment. The Nisstec units are based off of a Bilstein shock(5100), and there are people on the site who can comment on them better than I can.

Ride performance can vary greatly depending on parts chosen. If you use top mounted spacers for a lift(and get a proper alignment) you will have the same ride characteristics as stock. An in coil spacer will make the front stiffer as it preloads the front suspension. Any aftermarket coil spring will be stiffer than stock(provides the lift), but there are choices in spring rate( choose based on whether running aftermarket bumpers,skids,winch,sliders, etc...).

Not sure what kind of budget you have, or how hard of offroading you want to be capable of in the future? Spacers are fairly cheap and would allow for new tires(budget wise), which can make a huge difference in offroad performance. Then look at whether you want armor(skids,sliders), a winch etc... When you take that step, decide on a Titan Swap(immensely capable offroad) or something like a PRG Advanced lift(I run this and do some fairly tough offroading imho) or a similar offering from Nisstec.

Long winded, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, I got a general idea that it is mainly personal preference. It seems like the Nisstecs don't have as big of a reputation which is why it is more difficult to find specifics on their performance.

I plan on doing some mild off roading, nothing too insane as it is my daily driver, but I like to have fun and challenge myself. I used to be into the 2WD desert scene for a while and knew that performance really varied between different companies, i.e. FOX, Race Runner, King vs. Rancho, Pro-Comp or other bolt on kits. So I want something that is not only functional in lifting the vehicle but will provide a decent amount of performance gains, and not just a stiff ride that gave me 2 inches of lift.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Not too much open desert in Co.

The Bilstein 5100 is a good shock, I just never ran them. I can't complain about the Bistein on the Pro4, they seemed alright, but I didn't run them for long.

I would recomend a decent AT tire and some armor(sliders) before a lift. You can run 33's with no lift(search "melt mod"). Then decide how much further you want to go.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recomend a decent AT tire and some armor(sliders) before a lift. You can run 33's with no lift(search "melt mod"). Then decide how much further you want to go.
I just placed an order for a new Hefty Fab bumper. Took advantage of the No BS sale they were running on here. Not too often that you see custom fab shops running a sale. Looking forward to getting that installed. Then will be looking for some sliders.

I personally don't like the look of the 33" tires on stock trucks. The tires look a little too "stuffed", and not sure it would work out too well on stock suspension with a Hefty Bumper and radiator skids.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
No it wouldn't. You will definately want some aftermarket coilovers. The pricepoint is nice on the Nisstec ones. The Radflos have been good for me.

How is your budget looking for further mods?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have my eye on the PRG Basic Coilover Package with Radflo 2.0 Coilovers or the Nisstec Ultimate OE length kit. Both are roughly the same price but one uses Radflo, other uses Nisstec coilovers. Nisstec would be cheaper as they are right up the street from me and I could pick them up in person and save on some shipping, but concerned about quality. aI have seen cheap "cosmetic" kits fail before. Do not want this to happen to me.

I was also considering the extended length, but I know how extending travel tends to put a hurting on all of the other small components like steering linkages, and U Joints etc. I would rather not go down that road.

It looks like this would be a pretty straight forward installation with the coilovers. I have built up multiple suspension systems on various vehicles and this by far looks to be the easiest yet, especially if the coilovers are pre-built.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
imo the 5100 shocks are terrible if you run any kind of lift on them, this is based on running them with the stock springs, and not the spring that nisstec installs with its threaded collar i dont see it being earth shatteringly better with a firmer spring. theres a reason they only recommend 1.5" of lift with those shocks, they ride very harsh. any higher and they have no travel at all, you just bounce around. i went with the radflo 2.5 after my friend went back to stock after taking off the 5100 because the ride was so bad.

go with radflo and be happy.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any higher and they have no travel at all, you just bounce around. i went with the radflo 2.5 after my friend went back to stock after taking off the 5100 because the ride was so bad.
This is my concern with the "cosmetic" lifts. I have had some friends in the past who lifted their trucks with these kits that had upper A-arms included and the ride was horrible. You bounced all over the road, it was horrible. I definitely do not want that.

So if I go with one of these coilover kits, what rate spring should I run with the Hefty bumper that will still retain a "Stockish" ride?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Coilover rate is a bit suggestive also. There are a few people who like 550, some @600 and others 650 or more.

I have 650, that is what was recommended by PRG for 2" lift with steel bumper. 700 or 750, per prg, for a 4wd with steel bumper and winch. I personally feel like the 650 will be what I stick with when I do get my bumper, and mount the winch.

The upper arms only relation to lift is to allow more travel in the suspension, if the ride is awful it is due to the spring rate, or an incorrect shock.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
i think a 650 spring on a radflo will suit you, im still waiting on my front bumper so i cant tell you how it rides just yet.

also the arms dont make the ride harsh, they actually make it better by allowing you more downtravel so the suspension can soak up more bumps, but only if you have extended length coilovers to allow more stroke.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have Radflo 2.0 with 700# springs. F&R shrock bumpers and some extra body armor. If I did it over I'd get 2.5's with 650# springs. The 2.5's are a bit longer and my shocks are cranked 2.5 inches from bottom with no coil bucket contact. Just think it would give a better ride with 2.5's not cranked as much and more travel.

Another suggestion is to not go over 650# springs even with 2.0's unless you have a winch up front or won't be cranking them as much as I did.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
430 Posts
To the OP, in regards to Radflo's PRG and Nisstec use the exact same components to assemble their coilover units - Eibach springs and the Radflo shocks. The main difference is the upper and lower attachment mounts. Personally I think Nisstec has the edge there, though it's probably more of asthetic difference. Functionally they will be the same as well.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all of the help and input on this topic. I was having a hell of a time finding the exact information needed. It looks like I am going to be running 650 springs and the Nisstec coilovers. Cost is lower taking into account their location and having no shipping charges. I will also start with a rear shackle as I dont want the rear end to be too stiff, eventually moving to a whole leaf spring kit.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
To the OP, in regards to Radflo's PRG and Nisstec use the exact same components to assemble their coilover units - Eibach springs and the Radflo shocks. The main difference is the upper and lower attachment mounts. Personally I think Nisstec has the edge there, though it's probably more of asthetic difference. Functionally they will be the same as well.
Misinformation. ^

The Nisstec coilover is not the same as PRG. Nisstec is built on the Bilstein 5100 shock body with Eibach spring. PRG also sells a coilover based on the 5100, but uses TJM spring. Yes the mounts are different, because the shocks are not the same. Radflo is not Bilstein, PRG is not Nisstec.

The performance will differ also. Each shock is not valved identically, so the performance will differ from one to another.

Not bashing Nisstec, I have never dealt with them. They have a good reputation around here so far.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Misinformation. ^

The Nisstec coilover is not the same as PRG. Nisstec is built on the Bilstein 5100 shock body with Eibach spring. PRG also sells a coilover based on the 5100, but uses TJM spring. Yes the mounts are different, because the shocks are not the same. Radflo is not Bilstein, PRG is not Nisstec.

The performance will differ also. Each shock is not valved identically, so the performance will differ from one to another.

Not bashing Nisstec, I have never dealt with them. They have a good reputation around here so far.
WTF are you talking about?

This:

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/xterra-rf-20-coilovers/

Is the same as this:

http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58974&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

And in fact I now see that PRG is using the same machined billet top mount on their Radflo's as Nisstec. They use to use the black one like the one shown here.

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/radflo_xterra_fabtech_calmini_lifted_coilovers/

1 - 20 of 31 Posts