Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has the issue of broken shocks using the AC coils been with all Xterra models? The OR X has bigger bilstein shocks than the other models so it may not have the problem. Has anyone put coils on their OR X and had problems?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,262 Posts
There have been at least two people here that have been running the bilstein shocks with AC coils with no problems.... And there have been at least two people here who have run the AC coils with regular shocks with major problems. Personally i would never get them, but that is just my opinion.

I used to have the AC coils on my truck mounted on rancho shocks. I thought they were great... untill i got rid of them and upgraded to radflo's. You dont really know how good or bad something is untill you have tried alot of different options yourself.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am only looking for a 2-3" lift and debating between spacers or coils up front. The reason I am leaning towards coils is that I am getting a Shrockworks front bumper and thought the stiffer coils would be better for the extra weight. Also, I have heard a lot of people complain about the noise the spacer can make if it makes contact with the coil bucket.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,272 Posts
i dont have AC Coils but i would consider upgrading my shocks if i was going to get them. just my two cents. like s_e_x said, the only cases of the shock rupturing involved stock non bilstein models if i am not mistaken.

but like i said, thats just my two cents. i wouldnt sway away from something without trying it for myself. hence my rancho lift that is still sitting in my car. lol
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,262 Posts
Well, you will get noise from the spacer, or noise from the AC coils. The spacer causes coilbucket contact, so you get a noise from that. And the AC coils cause your shocks to hyperextend, which will also give you a strange noise.

The few people that are running the AC coils will swear by them. The many people that have taken their AC coils off... wont. You be the judge. If you can only afford something like that right now... then by all means go for it, but have a back up plan in the next year or so just in case.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
I had the AC coils on the Bilsteins for about 7 months. Fortunately, I didn't have any carnage with the shocks. However, whenever I went over a small dip in the road. the shocks would top out. And whenever I had to go over a speed bump, I literally had to crawl over them so that the shocks wouldn't top out. Other than that, they were firm, and gave me 2.5" of lift in the front.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
641 Posts
Yeller_X said:
Do you get UCA contact when you go over speed bumps? or humps?
You only get UCA contact with spacers. Aftermarket coils on stock shocks won't give you extra down travel, which is what causes UCA contact.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
366 Posts
trevluk said:
Has the issue of broken shocks using the AC coils been with all Xterra models? The OR X has bigger bilstein shocks than the other models so it may not have the problem. Has anyone put coils on their OR X and had problems?
I destroyed one of the front bilstiens with the STOCK springs, so I'd be really cautious about putting the AC springs on there.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,272 Posts
mudpuppy000 said:
trevluk said:
Has the issue of broken shocks using the AC coils been with all Xterra models? The OR X has bigger bilstein shocks than the other models so it may not have the problem. Has anyone put coils on their OR X and had problems?
I destroyed one of the front bilstiens with the STOCK springs, so I'd be really cautious about putting the AC springs on there.
that is a first. mind telling us how it happened? not that i doubt you at all. i just never heard of it happening to a bil.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
366 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
mudpuppy000 said:
trevluk said:
Has the issue of broken shocks using the AC coils been with all Xterra models? The OR X has bigger bilstein shocks than the other models so it may not have the problem. Has anyone put coils on their OR X and had problems?
I destroyed one of the front bilstiens with the STOCK springs, so I'd be really cautious about putting the AC springs on there.
that is a first. mind telling us how it happened? not that i doubt you at all. i just never heard of it happening to a bil.
I'm not sure when it happened exactly, but I noticed it a few weeks after wheeling in the desert. Not sure if it happened during that run, or an earlier time. Basically, it looked like it got overextended, and it blew the top off the shock. I'll try and post a pic of it later.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
I ran AC coils on stock Bilstein shocks for over 35K miles with no problems. I am still running the AC coils, but have upgraded to the adjustable Bilstein shocks.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
"that is a first."
Waldo (ONIX) blew out two sets of stock bils on his '05 OR, switched to RANCHO 9000 adjstabls, and has been prob free ever since.
Bilsteins suck a chode.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
20 Posts
Why not just use extented shocks with AC coils? I am planning starting my suspension mods the end of April so the discussion will help. The Shrockworks bumper and plates have taken a toll on the stock suspension. My plans are to use Deaver AAL for the rear and AC coils for the front. But now I am not sure. PRG's site does not have prices, but I was figure that UCA's and Radflo's would cost $1,100 while AC coils and new shocks $ 500.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
skephart said:
Why not just use extented shocks with AC coils? I am planning starting my suspension mods the end of April so the discussion will help. The Shrockworks bumper and plates have taken a toll on the stock suspension. My plans are to use Deaver AAL for the rear and AC coils for the front. But now I am not sure. PRG's site does not have prices, but I was figure that UCA's and Radflo's would cost $1,100 while AC coils and new shocks $ 500.
If you use extended shocks with the AC coils you will run into UCA / coil bucket contact. Also, the shorter version of the Radflos (the ones that don't need new UCA's) are not $1000. I want to say they are closer to $700.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
i will agree you can't compare AC coils and some coilover shock to the radflos and UCAs. those AC coils are stiffer and have caused enough damage i wouldn't trust them on any vehicle. Plus if you somehow destroy a radflo on the trail i'm sure greg will work with you to replace it where as AC will likely tell you to screw off.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
I really hate seeing people blame the AC coils for "damage". Can anyone prove to me that they caused "damage"? There is no proof that they caused shock failure. As you already saw, there have been shocks fail with stock coils. Sure, the AC's are stiff, but I do not think they are unsafe. Like I said, I have been running mine for a long time with no problems. If you want to comment that they are too stiff for your liking, that is fine, but please, do not give people the impression that they are unsafe or are going to damage their vehicle.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top