Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a cheap $14 code scanner. Surprise it worked and I got a few codes, and reset the codes and then realized I didn’t get any ABS codes and my light was still on. I started to do some research and realized it would not read ABS and transmission codes. And after more research found out there is a list of codes and info the cheap OBD II readers wont tell you. When I looked at higher cost scanners there were a bunch of acronyms I didn’t understand and so I did a little research, muddled past a 1000 adds to get the scoop. I though I would share what I have learned. I am going to buy the cheapest reader that does the trans, brakes and SAS. I don’t think I need anything past that. Correct me if I am wrong.
Here is the definitions of the acronyms. I am guessing 1/2 don’t are not needed if you have a Terra

OBD II - see other post here. Need this
Oil/Service/Brake OSB- Service Reset Function
reset Oil Service, and Brake Lights in a click of a button on supported vehicles. some vehicles require a Manuel reset
Battery Management System (BMS)
Registers new battery to the BMS during battery replacement.
EPB Reset Function
Brake Pad / Shoe changes on vehicles equipped with EPB's (Electronic Parking Brakes) MUST be carried out using a Diagnostic Tool to correctly re-calibrate.
VOL V2.0 offers you that capability on supported models. De-activate to Service Position - Replace - Re-activate.
ECTS Reset Function
After cleaning or replacing the Electronic Throttle Body (ECTS), adaptation must be carried out (also the case if the negative terminal of the battery has been disconnected or when the Engine Control Unit has been replaced). VOL V2.0 will perform Electronic Throttle Body adaptations on supported vehicles.
SAS Reset Function
The Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) is used to measure the angle of the steering wheel and the speed at which it is being turned. The signal is mainly used by the ABS System as part of it's stability control function but also by other systems such as ride level control and adaptive lighting. A problem with the SAS Signal will cause a fault with any of the systems that use the signal directly, or indirectly. If the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) needs to be changed, many vehicle's require the new sensor to be calibrated. VOL V2.0 will allow you to carry out steering angle re-calibration on supported models.
DPF Regeneration or Replacement

Here is my $14

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Good stuff. I also got one of the cheapies, guess i over paid at $18!

it only reads SES(engine) codes, which is really all I wanted, just incase im out in the boonies somehwere and throw a code, I can at least check to see what it is and if its ok to drive a bit farther.

also its just handy to be able to read whats going on without having to take it somewhere.

It would be nice to have the other functions but I didnt feel like spending the extra $$ for it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good stuff. I also got one of the cheapies, guess i over paid at $18!

it only reads SES(engine) codes, which is really all I wanted, just incase im out in the boonies somehwere and throw a code, I can at least check to see what it is and if its ok to drive a bit farther.

also its just handy to be able to read whats going on without having to take it somewhere.

It would be nice to have the other functions but I didnt feel like spending the extra $$ for it.
I will let you know what “cheap one” I buy and how it works, looks like $99 is the leader so far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts