Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Pro 4X - Black, Manual Transmission
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2015 Pro4X - MT

Only 50,000 miles, but already the clutch is slipping... (probably b/c of my wife)

Mechanics in my area are quoting over $800 just for the labor... (because, they claim, they need to take down the entire exhaust system to access the clutch assembly)

Parts on TOP of this...

Does this sound right to you all??

·
Premium Member
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
332 Posts
I was quoted 1300 and 3 days by a shop local to me and yes most of the exhaust system has to come out in order to drop the trans. I have done this job myself more than once make sure the inspection plate at the bottom of the bell housing is sealed well I have had a premature clutch failure due to dirt and water getting into the bell housing around that plate not being sealed.

·
Premium Member
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
332 Posts
I was quoted 1300 and 3 days by a shop local to me and yes most of the exhaust system has to come out in order to drop the trans. I have done this job myself more than once make sure the inspection plate at the bottom of the bell housing is sealed well I have had a premature clutch failure due to dirt and water getting into the bell housing around that plate not being sealed.
And that 1300 was labor alone I already had the parts at a cost of about 200 for the clutch kit less a flywheel

·
on line
2,305 Posts
Quite a bit of labor involved. Exhaust system is part of that. Removing an old exhaust system and having to reinstall it again is not fun. You can just about count on at least on siezed fastener if not actually breaking one. It is at least a full day labor. I would say that labor quote isn't that far off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Similar to what I have been quoted also. Mine isn't slipping yet, was told original only lasted to 40k, at 114k now and nervous.

·
Well then...
815 Posts
50K is pretty good for a clutch in my opinion - at least if you’re doing mostly city driving.

As far as labor, yep. It’s a beast to drop any transmission and even more so if it’s 4X4. I would say a good clutch assembly and labor would roughly be about $2,000 (less if the X’s flywheel can just be resurfaced instead of fully replaced) in my parts for the X.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
520 Posts
I was quoted between 1000-1300. Thought the first quote at a grand was a bit much. The next two were not better.

I did the clutch on my Isuzu rodeo (same design as the x). The exhaust alone added a week. Cutting each section out, replacing studs in the manifolds, and then trying to jigsaw the whole thing back on.

I have over 130k miles on what I believe is the OEM clutch. I should be doing this job soon.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
man you guys are not making me jelly of the 6spd right now!

but yeah , esp if you have any significant rust on the exhaust, i can see that being a pita. just replacing cats is a pita on mine and i dont have much rust to speak of. i can see a badly rusted exhaust needing to be replaced outright if taken off.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
It took me 3 days to do my own clutch and that is with me having air tools and not having stuck bolts on the exhaust. Luckily I live in the desert so rust is not a big problem here. I had to use a crow bar to get the trans. crossmember down out of it's frame pockets and about 5 feet worth of extensions to get the top two bell housing bolts out.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
"50K is pretty good for a clutch ..."
WutWut?! If that were the standard on clutches NO ONE would consider buying a manny trans vehicle. 150K is pretty good for a clutch, in my opinion. Knocking on wood as I say that as my 6MT is at ~60K and no signs of slipping at this point.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
WutWut?! If that were the standard on clutches NO ONE would consider buying a manny trans vehicle. 150K is pretty good for a clutch, in my opinion. Knocking on wood as I say that as my 6MT is at ~60K and no signs of slipping at this point.
yeah i'd expect a solid 100k+. assuming it wasn't abused.. dealers probably put a 50k mile "life" on them just so they dont have to deal with replacing them as much.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Bought mine at 41k with “a new clutch at 35k” has about 120k on it now, I don’t think folks are as good at a stick and they think they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: campisi

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm gonna chalk it up to abuse from my wife, seeing as how we only have one car, and before this X she'd never driven stick before .. I basically taught her how to ride it.... It was rough at first, but she's pretty ok now, so hoping for 90-100k out of this new one..

Should I just go OEM, or do u have any opinions on this one?

New Clutch Set 06-077 LuK | eBay

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Ive been all over the place trying to pick myself

I have a buddy making basically a race car out of an old Datsun pick up truck with a pumped up motor and he is running a JWT. The way he figures it I haven’t even torched the one I have and I don’t have a 600hp monster (yet!) so why make big changes. I’m leaning towards an exedy clutch and a luk fly, although my Fit and previous cars have all been single mass so it’s really a toss up if I need the JWT or not. More chatter and easier to stall or meh another failure mode with the dual mass. I might just go single mass to eliminate the potential failure just because!?
I don’t know man lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
520 Posts
Luk won me over since they made the OEM clutch in mazdaspeed. I sold that car with 110k miles on the original clutch and nearly double the wheel hp and trq.

I believe the OEM xterra clutches are made by exedy.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reactions: emtmark

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 145K on my 2010 6spd MT. Probably towed my cargo trailer at least 50K of those miles. Original clutch with no signs of slipping.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have 145K on my 2010 6spd MT. Probably towed my cargo trailer at least 50K of those miles. Original clutch with no signs of slipping.
@dbarufaldi
Dan! Good to see u here! I'm also in your RentPrep for Landlords Facebook group ! Lol!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts