Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the mistake of taking my X to the stealer and they told me that it's going to be 1200 to replace a clutch at 25000. I know it's a wear item, but come the fuck on 25000 miles on a clutch... that ref'ndiculous. Has anyone else had this problem? and if so did you have to pay to get it replaced?

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently they've quoted me wrong... they quoted me for the 2wd and the 4wd is about 350 more. I really wish that Nissan had it's shit straight.

·
on line
246 Posts
I'd wonder if we couldn't take a clutch from a 350Z's aftermarket. They have the same problem of wearing out the factory clutch to quickly.

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked the service tech if they were interchangeable and he's checking it out. Anyone out there know for sure whether the 350Z clutch and the Xterra clutch is the same? I mean the VQ bolt pattern might be the same, so what's the probability of the clutch being the same? Afterall the engine and trans are modified from the 350Z correct?

You would think that since the X is a truck and the 350 is a car they would be different, but then again they gave us a front axle out of a minivan for christ's sake.

I was just kidding about that whole minivan thing by the way.

·
on line
155 Posts
Mine was covered when it died at 25K. They asked if i towed a trailer or did a lot of 4wheeling and of course I said nooooooooo :) Unless they can prove that it has been abused then they should cover it. Also it helps if you can tell them you're the only driver and that it's not your first MT vehicle. It's worth the effort to fight them on it. Take it to the dealership you bought it from and threaten to never buy there again and post all sorts of fraud claims. Nissan will reinburse them if they are not lazy bastards.

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a good 400 miles from my dealership that I bought from... Maybe f I can get a hold of the salesman he'd suplex someone. He used to be a professional wrestler. Just gotta tag him in...

·
on line
2,938 Posts
What do you guys do to your clutches?

BTW: Most have found out that when the nissan clutch goes the flywheel gets screwed up. Add another $600 for a flywheel.

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at the flywheel... should be fine just getting resurfaced... but then again the clutch shouldn't burn up at 25000 miles so we'll see about that.

·
on line
735 Posts
just how wide is the diameter of the vq40 clutch? measure please if you can get a look at the old one before the s-can it. maybe we are running on a car sized clutch.

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's been a popular theory... just have to get my hands on that piece of shit they call our clutch and give it a good once over.

·
on line
246 Posts
Heh, did a google images search for a VQ40 clutch and came across this. Jim Wolf Tech. built a race truck and replaced our ECU with a Z32 ECU and a Maxima intake. Also they replaced the clutch and flywheel. Says to call for details. Middle way down the page. http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/news.asp

If nothing else, they could tell you the diffrence between a 350Z and Xterra clutch.

·
on line
704 Posts
ORXinOR said:
Mine was covered when it died at 25K. They asked if i towed a trailer or did a lot of 4wheeling and of course I said nooooooooo :) Unless they can prove that it has been abused then they should cover it. Also it helps if you can tell them you're the only driver and that it's not your first MT vehicle. It's worth the effort to fight them on it. Take it to the dealership you bought it from and threaten to never buy there again and post all sorts of fraud claims. Nissan will reinburse them if they are not lazy bastards.
This is bullsh*t. Nissan constantly shows off Xterras in off-road situations. If you cannot make a tough clutch, don't blame it on people who use the vehicles for the advertised purposes.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread. I'm just getting back on the site after a few months.

kokopop, I hear you on the "what are you guys doing to your clutches" question, and in some cases I'm sure it's us. But as I've posted before, the margin of error on our clutch is very low. I'm in my mid-40s, and have had a manual trans since I could drive. I drove trucks commercially, lived on a dirt road in Rhode Island with tons of snow, cut all my own firewood, got stuck a million times--you get the picture. Yet my first clutch troubles were with my X. I sold my last two cars and my Toyota pick-up with 150 K and original clutches!

Nissan replaced my clutch at 25K after it started "grabbing," or not entirely disengaging. The dealer readily agreed, at least verbally, that it's a known weak link. Fight like hell, try different dealers, offer to drive for them and show how well you know how to handly the trans, show them their ads, dare them to drive start and stop over and over up a long hill and not smell clutch--whatever it takes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts