Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short; after the relief of finding an '05 X with only 75,000mi on it AND a standard transmission... we were upset to find the clutch dying on us almost two weeks after we purchased it. Literally driving to the dealership.

Fast forward three + weeks at the dealer, a new clutchplate and a flywheel installed, dealer ate all of the costs of the install. Happy and glad to have our 'new-to-us' car back, I was rather put off when I noticed that the "burning clutch smell" was back, even with all the new components. Is this normal for the break-in period? We have put probably about 60 miles on it since we got it back.

After my wife drove it to work today she made mention of the oil pressure jumping up and down, significantly, while she's shifting, I can't recall when I drove a standard transmission with an oil pressure gauge. Is this normal?

What are your guys' thoughts? Please note that the installation of parts took so long for two reasons; 1. I bought it from a Honda dealership and 2. They told me the first flywheel was malformed from the factory -- they had to re-order.

D

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's been a while since I've had a car I've put a new clutch in so I don't remember. But a clutch disc is a lot like brake pads, and I know that brake pads can put off a pretty good stench in the first 100 or so miles as they brake in, especially on a new car.

As far as the oil pressure up and down, on many cars the oil pressure varies as the RPMS go up and down. Some cars I've had have been more pronounced than others, but even in my 2013 Silverado, it does that somewhat. Is it just swinging in a narrow range or is it drastically going up and down to the extreme ends of the gauge? I'll try and pay attention to mine when I push in the clutch and shift...

Congrats on finding a stick shift one though! Good thing the dealer made good on the clutch too!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Literally in the identical spot as you. Bought my 07 X Off Road with 74k on the clock. 1K miles later...the oem clutch burns up entirely. Talking no material left on either side of the disk. Like it never disengaged.

I upgraded to the jwt clutch/flywheel setup and have put about 250 miles on it thus far. Had the same smell for the first 100+ miles of driving it. Seems to have gone away now. This is normal for new clutch break ins. I've driven it lightly with a few higher rev pulls here and then as part of the break in process, and will probably go the first 500 miles before really beating on it. It was an expensive fix but the upgrade has already proven to be well worth it. Total cost was right around $1500. $850 in parts/shipping and $650 in labor for the install.

I tossed the oem flywheel/ruined disc/pressure plate in the trash and never looked back.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been a while since I've had a car I've put a new clutch in so I don't remember. But a clutch disc is a lot like brake pads, and I know that brake pads can put off a pretty good stench in the first 100 or so miles as they brake in, especially on a new car.

As far as the oil pressure up and down, on many cars the oil pressure varies as the RPMS go up and down. Some cars I've had have been more pronounced than others, but even in my 2013 Silverado, it does that somewhat. Is it just swinging in a narrow range or is it drastically going up and down to the extreme ends of the gauge? I'll try and pay attention to mine when I push in the clutch and shift...

Congrats on finding a stick shift one though! Good thing the dealer made good on the clutch too!
That's good to hear, I was hoping that might be the case. My wife couldn't give me specifics on how much it was fluctuating, I will confirm the oil pressure ranges tomorrow when I get home from work. Let me know what your X's gauge looks like if you drive it tomorrow.

And thanks, we both love manuals, and the milage + the price was definitely a score. That dealership has made customers for life to say the least, the invoice was nearly $1,900. On top of them taking care of everything, we got to cruise around in one of their brand new GMC Terrians. I really miss XM radio...

Literally in the identical spot as you. Bought my 07 X Off Road with 74k on the clock. 1K miles later...the oem clutch burns up entirely. Talking no material left on either side of the disk. Like it never disengaged.

I upgraded to the jwt clutch/flywheel setup and have put about 250 miles on it thus far. Had the same smell for the first 100+ miles of driving it. Seems to have gone away now. This is normal for new clutch break ins. I've driven it lightly with a few higher rev pulls here and then as part of the break in process, and will probably go the first 500 miles before really beating on it. It was an expensive fix but the upgrade has already proven to be well worth it. Total cost was right around $1500. $850 in parts/shipping and $650 in labor for the install.

I tossed the oem flywheel/ruined disc/pressure plate in the trash and never looked back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Glad to see that I'm not the only one, I've heard of clutches going out at 100k on the clock, but never 75k. Shoot, our commuter Civic has almost 150k with the stock clutch, granted, the X has about triple the horsepower ripping through the drivetrain :pirate:. I have to imagine they just tossed another OEM flywheel and clutch plate in there, but when it was free, I can't complain. Did your JWT have that same "burning" smell once you had put the first couple miles on it?

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Probably just clutch residue in the bellhousing that didn't get completely cleaned out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably just clutch residue in the bellhousing that didn't get completely cleaned out.
What a buddy of mine had speculated, fortunately it doesn't wreak anywhere near as badly as it did when it gave up the ghost on the highway. Tow truck driver could smell it 20 feet away.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
After my wife drove it to work today she made mention of the oil pressure jumping up and down, significantly, while she's shifting, I can't recall when I drove a standard transmission with an oil pressure gauge. Is this normal?
Yes, it is normal. The model years 2005 - 2008 have a true gauge that will rise and drop as the pressure changes. It will drop fairly low while idling, then rise as you accelerate, and fall a bit as you shift then rise to the new pressure at new gear.

Jack rabbit starts and speed shifting will cause the needle to jump up/down.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Also, to confirm, the dash guage reads crankcase oil pressure; not transmission oil pressure. As XKNUT mentioned, engine load changes (like when shifting) can effect the gauge reading.

You may have already known all of this, but I wanted to be clear ...

Also, as XK said, the earlier gauges were more responsive and read actual pressures & fluctuations; as opposed to later models where the gauge is more like an idiot light with three states (no pressure, some pressure, too much pressure).

·
Registered
133 Posts
I drove mine to work this morning and my oil pressure gauge in my 06 didn't budget at all. it read slightly higher when it first started up and then settled in at half place for my entire drive.

As far as the clutch life, it actually less common to get 100k miles out of an xterra/frontier clutch, especially the taller geared rear-ends in the non-off road model. I was super worried buying mine with 66k on the clock, but it seems to be just fine. hopefully the person who owned it knew how to drive it. the motors have gobs of torque and you dont' need hardly any throttle to get rolling or make smooth gear changes. And I've seen civics with almost 200k on the original clutch.... when you have no torque, it doesn't chew up the clutch near as fast (even though you usually need to slip it more to get going, weird)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it is normal. The model years 2005 - 2008 have a true gauge that will rise and drop as the pressure changes. It will drop fairly low while idling, then rise as you accelerate, and fall a bit as you shift then rise to the new pressure at new gear.

Jack rabbit starts and speed shifting will cause the needle to jump up/down.
I got to drive the X to work tonight and noticed that the needle movement was no where nearly as significant as my wife had made it sound. Double checked the oil level at work just to be sure, but it looks like I was worrying over nothing.

Also, to confirm, the dash guage reads crankcase oil pressure; not transmission oil pressure. As XKNUT mentioned, engine load changes (like when shifting) can effect the gauge reading.

You may have already known all of this, but I wanted to be clear ...

Also, as XK said, the earlier gauges were more responsive and read actual pressures & fluctuations; as opposed to later models where the gauge is more like an idiot light with three states (no pressure, some pressure, too much pressure).
No, but thanks for clarifying. Noticed how much the needle bumps with higher/lower RPM's on my drive, glad to see a correlation.

I drove mine to work this morning and my oil pressure gauge in my 06 didn't budget at all. it read slightly higher when it first started up and then settled in at half place for my entire drive.

As far as the clutch life, it actually less common to get 100k miles out of an xterra/frontier clutch, especially the taller geared rear-ends in the non-off road model. I was super worried buying mine with 66k on the clock, but it seems to be just fine. hopefully the person who owned it knew how to drive it. the motors have gobs of torque and you dont' need hardly any throttle to get rolling or make smooth gear changes. And I've seen civics with almost 200k on the original clutch.... when you have no torque, it doesn't chew up the clutch near as fast (even though you usually need to slip it more to get going, weird)
Strange to see how much gas I don't have to give it now that it has the new components in it.

Based on what the dealership had told me, our X was apparently owned by a 'physician', so take from that what you will. He seemed to keep it in relatively good shape, especially considering it's almost a decade old now.

Wife and I went out to dinner before I headed to work and I didn't smell a damn thing, I think my fears of continuing/looming problems have been put to rest. Now time to sit back and enjoy. Thanks guys!

:eek:ccasion5:
D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts