Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post!

New to me 2005 Xterra; third owner; 174k km when I bought it last May and 182k km now and the clutch is starting to go ...

I've read the clutch threads here and it seems I should replace the flywheel at the same time and perhaps go to the JWT kits. I also read that the dealerships are less than useful and expensive to boot.

Fair enough, but I live in a small town and except for the high performance guru I'm not sure I'd like any of the little shops to do this job, so I'm wondering a couple of things:

Just how bad are the dealerships ... I'd have to drive 100 km to Nanaimo to get this done and lose a day or two. I'm assuming they'd just want to do the stock parts thing - but they'd have the specialized tools and go by the book so their quote should be right?

And - what kind of money am I looking to spend - Vancouver Island, so Canadian dollars and costs.

Last - I don't do any serious off-roading; just logging roads. Would the JWT option be sensible or overkill. I kind of like the performance guys - their shop is a disaster but their hearts pump oil. Would it make sense to go with teh aftermarket parts and just leave this job in their hands?

Cheers - Peter

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
clutch swaps are not really specialized, other than a few nuances like removing the cats, its a pretty straight forward job. now i have done a clutch with a buddy and it took us 10 hrs, including lunch and whatnot. this was on the ground with jack stands and a transmission jack which helped alot. i would ask how much each shop will charge an hour because i bet the dealer will be much more, and they will probably quote you close to the same amount of hours because they just use mitchell software to quote hours for a certain job.

the jwt clutch is not overkill, its pretty sensible imo. it doesn't give a super stiff pedal and engagement is alot nicer than the factory 2 piece flywheel imo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

Last time I replaced a clutch it was in the overflow lot at BC Ferries - 1957 Austin Westminster with a million odd bolt sizes in hard to reach places on the housing. The clutch went going up the hill from the terminal so we went back the next day and did the needful.

Mind you it wasn't fun and I'm not in the mood to tinker in my driveway :)

I called Nissan and their guestimate is around $2k to replace flywheel and clutch. I'm waiting on their parts guy to dig up the exact parts list but labour is $900.

In a couple of minutes I'll phone over to the performance shop and leave them the details and then we'll see what happens.

P

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well - the dealer just got back to me. Seems the flywheel is over $1k putting the total at $2520.

That's a bit rich so I'm waiting for a quote from the local shop.

Peter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup - that's the price we pay for living across the line, and on an island.

Shipping from the States and customs (paperwork is $18 alone) plus taxes makes it worthwhile to try to shop locally. That performance shop is digging around their contacts to see what they can do.

I'll just wait and see what happens.

Thanks for the links; now I have benchmarks.

Peter

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I lived on the island I had my clutch on my 2000 Frontier replaced by these guys: http://victrans.com/
They quoted $1400 for the clutch, but since there were unforseen parts that were worn it was around $2000.
Where on the island are you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Port Alberni.

Rick at Ace Motors is checking out aftermarket clutch and flywheel possibilities, which reminds me that he never called me back :).

Lucky I have my wood truck in case the xTerra needs a rest.

Peter

·
on line
951 Posts
I went with the JWT clutch and love it. It is a bit grabby, so 1st gear will take some getting used to. Keep in mind I'm in the US and labor was $625 clutch kit with a flywheel was $1070 with shipping. Plus I had the o2 sensors changed out at the same time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts