Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 6 speed has been having this clutch noise issue for a long time and it's been getting worse slowly over time. It initially started doing it on startup only when very cold, but has progressed to doing it on startup even when it's not super cold out. It makes a grunting noise when the clutch is all the way in, and a louder but similar noise when letting the clutch out. It stops doing it after a few minutes, seemingly when the clutch warms up.

I had the clutch replaced with a Jim Wolf unit at about 140k (150k now) just because it was worn. That didn't change the noise at all.

I've seen some threads elsewhere describing the same issue on some other Nissan vehicles, but none with a solution.

Here's a video of the issue. You can hear the sound well, although it's louder IRL.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2007 6 speed has been having this clutch noise issue for a long time and it's been getting worse slowly over time. It initially started doing it on startup only when very cold, but has progressed to doing it on startup even when it's not super cold out. It makes a grunting noise when the clutch is all the way in, and a louder but similar noise when letting the clutch out. It stops doing it after a few minutes, seemingly when the clutch warms up.

I had the clutch replaced with a Jim Wolf unit at about 140k (150k now) just because it was worn. That didn't change the noise at all.
I've been starting to have the same issue. Did you ever figure out what this was? You said a clutch replacement didn't fix it. Do you know if the flywheel and bearings were all replaced as well as part of that job?

·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been starting to have the same issue. Did you ever figure out what this was? You said a clutch replacement didn't fix it. Do you know if the flywheel and bearings were all replaced as well as part of that job?
Funny you should ask. I just got it back from the transmission shop today. They put a new clutch and flywheel in it and so far the problem seems to be gone. Not sure if it was the bearings or even possibly the dual mass flywheel. I suspect actually that it may have been the flywheel. When I had the clutch done before we didn't do the flywheel because it was in good shape. Unless the previous clutch guy didn't do the throwout bearing or pilot bushing which I don't think he would have forgot, I think I'm leaning towards the flywheel.

At this point I don't think that the cause really matters because the solution is the same regardless. Replace the clutch and flywheel. I now know that if you are going to have the trans out to do the clutch you may as well spend the extra three hundred dollars to put a new flywheel in it at the same time because the labor is 2/3 of the cost even when replacing both. The Luk unit for $280 on RockAuto is actually the OEM unit for literally half the price the dealer wants.

Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I had the clutch done before we didn't do the flywheel because it was in good shape. Unless the previous clutch guy didn't do the throwout bearing or pilot bushing which I don't think he would have forgot, I think I'm leaning towards the flywheel.
Thanks for the great info and fast reply! I'm curious how long your 1st clutch replacement lasted? Looks like just over a year? Did you replace it again because the DMF was going bad?

I'm at 137K on the original clutch and debating between replacing with OEM or switching out to a solid flywheel. So far the noise is the only symptom I'm getting and, like yours, it only happened after I'd driven the X for an extended time, or with a load, then let it sit and completely cool. After that, the noise comes on the next startup, especially when outside temp is in the 55º range or lower. Just got back from a 5+ hour trip and yesterday was the first time the noise didn't go away within two depressions of the clutch pedal. Overall, engagement seems good and the only time I detect anything related to clutch plate wear is if I try to start on a steep incline, especially with the camper hooked up. It gives me just a little bit of chatter. Otherwise, no issues (aside from the noise).

·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So now I'm second guessing myself.

I was looking at my paperwork and it looks like we did put a new flywheel in when I first had the clutch done in 2017. I think it actually had about 130k on the clock when we did the first clutch and has 160k now. So IDK. Maybe the guy didn't do the pilot/throwout? I only had the transmission out because of the noise which was getting pretty bad. The JWT clutch still had quite a bit of life left in it, but it's one of those things where if you're going pay $1000 to drop the transmission you may as well spend the $500 to replace the guts. I only had it back for a few hours yesterday before I took it in for a suspension rebuild, so I'm not even 100% sure that the noise is gone, but what else is there to replace?

It sounds like you are in a good spot, though. The clutch needs to be replaced anyway so make sure to do all of it and you should be good. If you have a shop do it make sure they hear the noise before doing the work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So now I'm second guessing myself.

...Maybe the guy didn't do the pilot/throwout? I only had the transmission out because of the noise which was getting pretty bad.

It sounds like you are in a good spot, though. The clutch needs to be replaced anyway so make sure to do all of it and you should be good. If you have a shop do it make sure they hear the noise before doing the work.
Thanks for the good advice. My noise is so inconsistent still I know if I bring it in, it probably won't co-operate so I guess I'll just wait until it's more consistent and hope it doesn't go out on me mid-trip somewhere I don't want to be. Sounds like yours went for quite a while without blowing up on you? Did they replace anything in the trans, like the input shaft bearing? I've long suspected that as the culprit of some other odd noises I've observed...

·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it got very slowly worse over like 50k miles. It got to where it would do it sometimes even after warming up. I'm going to start towing a small trailer with it for the first time so I figured I needed to get the driveline in 100% shape, although it was getting bad enough that I probably would have taken it in regardless. As long as it's the same noise I have you should be fine for a long time. Also, it looks like for some reason the forum broke my YT link to the video of the sound. Here's the video. The sound is kinda quiet so you might need to turn it up, but you can definitely hear it.

We didn't do the input bearing because I'm like 95% sure that the shaft has to come out and the bearing pressed off and back on to the shaft. Getting that deep is basically a transmission rebuild. Ry the Car Guy recently did a video/thread on the clutch replacement and doesn't mention doing the input bearing. Full Clutch Swap Instructions

I will assume in this post that you want to replace everything that is reasonably accessible when removing the transmission.

This would be the following items:
  • Rear main seal
  • Pilot bushing
  • Flywheel
  • Clutch
  • Clutch Cover
  • Throw-out/Release bearing
I'll keep you updated on the noise once I get it back from the suspension shop tomorrow. First cold start on Thursday will be the test. It looks like we're supposed to get our first freeze overnight Wednesday, so it will be plenty cold.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also, it looks like for some reason the forum broke my YT link to the video of the sound. Here's the video. The sound is kinda quiet so you might need to turn it up, but you can definitely hear it.
That noise definitely follows the pattern mine is making, but my noise has a little more of a continuous low-pitch hum to it. It first started after I'd towed our 2500 lb popup for about 3 hours, then let the X sit for a while and started it up later in the evening when it was nice and cool. It comes more frequently now, often after towing or long highway drives, but not consistently after day-to-day trips so it's squarely in that realm of 'I hope it doesn't go out on me' but 'the shop will probably fail to reproduce it and tell me nothing's wrong.' Seems that's how most of my issues with the X are :confused:.

I'd appreciate any updates you have once you get it back. We're also expecting the first freeze here, so it'll be a good opportunity to test further. I usually keep it garaged, but maybe I'll leave it out for a night and see how it does. I see you're in CO as well. Is that front range or west slope?

We didn't do the input bearing because I'm like 95% sure that the shaft has to come out and the bearing pressed off and back on to the shaft. Getting that deep is basically a transmission rebuild. Ry the Car Guy recently did a video/thread on the clutch replacement and doesn't mention doing the input bearing. Full Clutch Swap Instructions
That makes sense. If I do the replacement, I'm going to be super thorough since that'll represent an investment and commitment to keep the X for several more years. I've also been trying to track down a slight whine that I'm starting to fear is differential noise, so I'm trying to find a local shop that's well versed in both MTs and rear ends to have a look at all of it. Could also be the rear CV joint on the driveshaft, but it's been impossible for me to track down without a lift. I'm not brave enough to jack it up and spin it up to 65mph where it makes the noise.

·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So putting the clutch in didn't fix it. It did change it though. it's not as loud, but more consistent. At this point I have no idea? Fork maybe? That would explain why the JWT clutch had more wear than expected, I think. I should have had them replace that while they were in there. Damn it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well that sure sucks! I haven't heard of many people swapping the fork out as part of the job. You said pilot and throw out bearings had been replaced too?

If yours is like mine, then the noise comes when the clutch pedal is fully depressed, but goes away when pedal is up. It also makes noise up until the engage point when releasing the pedal. Is that the same for you? In that case, it sure seems like a bearing would be at fault, but hard to believe if you'd had those swapped a new one would continue with the same noise. When the pedal is pushed in, the crankshaft and flywheel would still be rotating; is there anything else still moving? I'm assuming input shaft & gears? A few years back I bought an automotive stethoscope. If I can get the X to make the noise again for long enough, maybe I'll crawl under see if I can pinpoint the origin a bit better by checking along the transmission, bell housing, and rear of the engine block with that. I'll let you know if I'm able to find anything...

·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, that fits the description. Noise when pushed all the way in, and then going away at some point in the engagement travel, maybe just before it starts to grab. If I ride the clutch just below the engagement it does it. It will also change a little in pitch depending on where in the travel it is.

So when the clutch is pushed in the transmission including the input shaft is stopped, assuming the vehicle isn't moving. The only things spinning are the flywheel and clutch cover.

I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So when the clutch is pushed in the transmission including the input shaft is stopped, assuming the vehicle isn't moving. The only things spinning are the flywheel and clutch cover.
10 hours of monotonous computer work + cold = brain fog. Of course the trans and gears would stop moving with clutch pedal in! But that rotation wouldn't stop instantly, would it? If you leave the clutch pedal in, does the noise stay continuous, or go away after a few seconds? I can't say I've tried that with mine, but now it decided it wants to behave and not make noises at all, so I can't test my theory unless I want to hook the camper up again for a little joy ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts