Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. My X has a relatively new clutch (little over 2 years) I have zero slippage.
The issue is it feels like I lost all hydralics with the clutch pedal, it started yesterday where my wife could not get the vehicle into gear because the clutch pedal went to the floor and would not come up. Simply hooking the pedal with your toe and pulling it up it resumed normal operation.
Today, got a lot worse. The clutch would only come up half way about 1/4 of the time (pull it up with my foot the rest of the way). Then on my way back home at a stop sign when I pushed the clutch pedal in it just collapsed to the floor, DID NOT disengage the clutch so stalled the truck out.

At that point the clutch was completely useless. I had to clutch start the engine and I limped over in 1st gear to my mechanic who was just around the corner (thankfully). So he can't look at it for another week or so, but I believe (correct if wrong) that the clutch shares the resivoir with the brake system? That was not low on fluid at all. So I'm thinking it's the master/slave for the clutch just went out. Could it be something else?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Sounds like master. Slave either works or pukes fluid on the ground. Master can leak back into the brakes and not loose any fluid. And acts just like you describe.

The fun one you have not described (yet) is pushing in on the clutch, putting it in gear, and the clutch slowly engaging as your foot stays on the floor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thing is I have driven all manner of cars/trucks with a manual transmission. never had the master go out on me, my jetta has 240K/16 years on the original clutch and original everything. Thx for chiming in just couldn't think of anything else it could be but wanted to check.
Odd thing is, I could not force the truck in to or out of gear while the engine was running. Had to turn it off to get it in or out. So after I stalled it roll starting it was not even a consideration. Thankfully the X has that clutch start button or I would've needed a tow.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So... Surprise! it's not the master or the slave cylinder. Apparently the steel line that runs to them has a rusted hole in it. Which. that actually happened to me on this vehicle for a brake line, the brake line just rusted right through.
Unfortunately my mechanic who is really cheap and competent (rare combination) doesn't do things that are too complicated and this falls into transmission work in his book so I'm gonna have to take my Xterra elsewhere to get fixed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
question. has anyone here ever replaced the lines to the master/slave cylinders themselves? wondering if that is just something I could just do myself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wish I could help you, but we've only had our Xterra a few months and all's well with the clutch. I'm interested in what you find, though, as I'm a DIYer - whenever possible.

We got ours to pull behind our motor home, and can't do that with the auto. But I've always preferred manual over auto anyway, and I do like the Xterra's setup.

Guess the sheer low numbers of manual transmission owners out there is the reason you're hearing only crickets!

Cheers,
Mickey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts