Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read on XF about yet another clutch failure. I think this is 3 or 4 that I have heard about. The bad part is when the clutch fails you need to replace the flywheel also because it is aluminum.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Is there a good after-market clutch yet?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I have heard the argument about what is best OR Auto or Stick, after what I saw at ECXC I'd never get a stick in a 4X4. Although I have had one in a wagoneer, I didn't get too technical with it. Also had a Scout II with a stick, a 71 and a 76 with stick that blew and engine for motor oil that was replaced with an auto 77. It was there I determined it was auto all the way after that. OR is hard on a stick and and aluminum flywheel would make it even worse. The heat would be a killer! MC

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that an Auto is best OR. But if you are gentle with you X OR the MT is fine. I barely use the gas and just leave it in 1st and 4LO. I also try not to overheat or put too much stress on my clutch.

Either way it is too late know to switch. I have got to run what I brung.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
AT definitely makes it easier off road but since mine will be off road 5% of the time, the manual was the best and safest for me.

Safest you ask, with an auto I do to much stuff, look around etc, with a manual I pay attention to the traffic to always be in the right gear. It's much safer for me

Hopefully that 5% won't blow it out.

·
on line
4 Posts
Yup sadly my clutch just failed at 18k...Piece of sh!t nissan wont back up their products and cover the payments. Anyone know of a good aftermarket clutch. Need one asap. Cant even drive my xterra

·
on line
4 Posts
BoonDox said:
Take to a differant dealership and say hey this went bad!
Thatd be a nice idea, but then we have the same problem 18k miles from now. The way it was built was faulty. The design was faulty. Thats what I'm hearing. This thing stranded my brother on the highway almost 300 miles from home. Theres no excuse for a new car to be having this problem. I hope no one else has to experience this problem and I wish youall the best with your xterras, but as for our faith in nissan...well its pretty much not there.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, seeing as the arguement isn't so much as to which is better off-road and more along the lines of why are cluches going bad so quickly.

I'll start with the off topic one first. If you are geared right, you can't beat a stick off-road. I would not trade in the 5 speed in the Rubi for an automatic if you paid me. But in the X, where it doesn't have the 4:1 TC, I'll take an auto. I'll also take an auto for around town driving. There is just too much clutching in the city.

That being said, has anyone ever stalled an automatic? I did this past weekend after an attempt to climb a VERY steep hill. I didn't think it was possible.

As for Nissan and the faulty clutches. Is it an 05 or an 06 that these are going bad on? I can see a bad design, but failing at 18K sounds more like faulty parts. If this is happening in just 05's I would say that's the price you pay for first model year vehicles and that if they replaced it that it would probably last longer. If it also wasn't in so many cases, I would tell people to learn to drive a stick. :)

I highly doubt there are any aftermarket clutches for the 05+ Xterra's yet. I mean it's hard to even find brake pads (went to 6 different auto part stores and in the end had to order them).

·
on line
246 Posts
Don't supose that the Xterra and 350Z have the same trans do they? Looked on google and found they were having the same clutch failures as the X does. Would be interesting to put a tuner clutch into an X.

·
on line
735 Posts
premature clutch failures on new vehicles is inversely proportional to the drivers age.

I went thru one on my new z28 years ago right at 10k...actually it wasn't worn, it just chattered really bad from drag racing. Anyways... The whole flywheel can't be aluminum..the part that bolts to the crank is steel I'm almost sure. It must be a performance way to lighten it. Usually trucks need the extra weight of the flywheel since getting going is more important then engine rev-ability.

the jeep tj's have a domed steel flywheel that lets the clutch slip a little to keep the 4 liter from stalling and also to cushion shock loads in 4x4 or in low range when the torque multiplication is high. people are reporting more than 150k on the stock clutches. No guess at all about the manual Vq40 clutches, but my feeling is that it will last long enough since I use mine as a grocery getter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts