Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my clutch seems to have gone out at 21k - WTF? And guess what, my dealer wont cover it. This cant be right guys...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Sounds about right...at least for the X's.

There have been a number of people changing their clutch (and flywheel) as early as 18K and I don't think any of them were covered. I really think there is a serious problem and just like everything else, Nissan isn't ponying up.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
lets start a revolt, be the next Lloyd, you can do it. Take on Nissan and win before mine goes.

I don't know much about clutches but isn't there a part that you can wear out and shouldn't the rest be covered. Like brakes, if my pad and rotors are bad on me but if the caliper dies isn't that on them?

·
on line
735 Posts
I'm almost sure everybody who lost a clutch before the warranty expired is younger than 26 years of age.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
I'm 29 and my clutch on my Mazda 3 bit it right around 35,000 miles - 6 months ago. It didn't completely blow, but it was chirping kinda weird. No, no, not the tires, the clutch. Turned out it was a manufacturing defect of some sort and they replaced the clutch, flywheel, and a few other components under warranty. You may want to go get a second opinion at another Stealer

·
on line
15,651 Posts
mike100 said:
I'm almost sure everybody who lost a clutch before the warranty expired is younger than 26 years of age.
Even if they are and even if they are doing burnouts it should last longer than 18K miles.

My guess it's the same clutch as their cars and just not beefy enough for the weight of the X.

·
on line
295 Posts
mike100 said:
Not true my clutch went out at 8k and I was 48 then.

Call Nissan USA and raise Hell!! I did.

·
on line
735 Posts
do you think the pressure plate is too wimpy (spring rate wise)? or do you think the overall diameter of the clutch is too small for a vehicle of this weight? It certainly can't be from the gear ratio being to tall in first gear. we got about 4.4 to 1.

I'd think a 10.5 to 11 inch clutch would be ok for a 6 cyl 4k lb truck. I wonder what diameter the X/fronty 4.0 has.

·
on line
735 Posts
Knight...You'de think a service writer would not even question a mature driver with such low miles on a clutch defect (unless you really can't drive stick), but I know that clutch claims from younger people are more common.

they actually tried to make you pay for a new clutch?

·
on line
612 Posts
I think mine is starting to slip a bit and I've got just over 25K and am 24. I've been driving stick since I was 15, so it's not an experience thing.

·
on line
155 Posts
Toasted mine at 25K. All highway driving. Seemed like I would smell clutch anytime in 4lo even on baby trails. Been driving stick since I started driving at 16. I wouldn't trust the X to tow anything near the rated capacity. I think it fried because most of my wheelin is in the sand. Therefore I would pull 4-5 trucks out per trip. Pulled a crew cab superduty up a hill...probably not the best idea but it embarrassed the hell out of him. The good samaritan days are over. Nissan covered it. I'm 25 for the record. Plenty of experience driving...I've put on 40K miles a year on the x. Now at 63K and clutch is holding fine. Maybe something with initial install from the factory??????? I baby it so I'm not the first to fry two clutches.

·
on line
7 Posts
I just turned 26, my X is AT, but my honda civic is a 1998 MT which I got brand new when I was 16, treated it like S**T, always in stop and go traffic, has 218k miles and have never changed the clutch. LOL. lucky me I guess.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I am about to hit 30K on my X. I live outside NYC and do a lot of stop and go driving. Still on the original clutch. I think it is a combo driving style and mechanics. The electronic throttle makes it questionable when the clutch will catch.

That said I would not buy the MT again. It is sloppy.

Edit: Oh and I am 30.

·
on line
612 Posts
I would have to agree with the MT being sloppy... we're not talking spilling a drink sloppy, it's almost like that one drunk chick who forgot to pull up her undies sloppy.

·
on line
352 Posts
There is so many different factors here. Obviously if you do hard off roading or just suck at driving a standard your clutch is going to take a beating. From what I gather, one traumatic hit on yer clutch will cut the life faster than less than good driving practices for a standard. I currently have a 96' 4Runner, it has 105k and it's the original clutch, and grabs like the day I bought it. It sounds like nissan put crap in the tranny to me.

·
on line
707 Posts
I have 33K and no problems yet(keeping fingers crossed) but can't imagine a clutch going so quickly. I bought a Nissan 2wd 5spd pickup new in 1995 never did anything but change the oil in it, and it still ran perfect 100K miles later when I sold it. I abused he hell out of that thing taking it on trails that I shouldn't have and even crossed a shallow creek or two. Nissans have gotten more fancy and I love my X but it seems like they really cut corners on some important parts.

·
on line
139 Posts
mike100 said:
Haha...you don't have to be young to develop a bad driving habit and carry it throught most or all of your life. I've met some folks in their 40's - 50's that make me cringe whenever they shift.

Since we've done the usual "oh...you can't drive" forum check, does anyone have any details on the clutch problems they've had fixed? Is there a common weak link? Maybe a particular part or component that was bad?

D-Rock

·
on line
1,792 Posts
mike100 said:
I'm 46, a former truck driver, a careful, gentle shifter, and have owned many MTs all my life without a single issue. I've never even replaced a clutch before--and the clutch on my X went out at 25 K. The dealer took it apart, agreed that it was not my fault, and covered it. In addition, the regional Nissan rep basically admitted that the clutch is a weak link.

D-rock, I just saw your post above. The dealer was vague about the exact problem, frankly. So I honestly don't know. But they covered it in my case without question.

Yes, clutch failure is often driver related. But the margin of error on our clutch is way too low, especially if you wheel--and Nissan knows it. It's worth a fight.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts