Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I seem to be getting lot of noise from the front end lately when i go over a bumpy surface at slow speeds. (My driveway is all jacked up and I crawl through the potholes.) I have tried to reproduce this by shaking anything I can get my hands on in the wheel well, but I can't find anything wrong.

I went through a bunch of other stuff too. I had to hammer out my stock font "skid plate" as it was in contact with the anti-roll bar. I had to shim my Shrockworks tranny skid as the transfer case was contacting it a bit. There is also a tiny bit evidence of UCA/coil bucket contact, but I know I'm not going through full suspension travel just going up my driveway. The potholes aren't _that_ big!

I had the AC lift springs installed by a shop BTW.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks,

Z.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Check to make sure your swaybar links are tight.

Make sure your swaybar isn't making contact to the bracket it attaches to (where the bushings are).

·
on line
238 Posts
I see you don't have a aftermarket bumper. Your noise could be your topping out your shocks if you are have the front wheel drop into a hole. Try limiting one side then the other to dropping in a hole fast and see if the noise comes from that side. Basically you are trying to get the ground to drop out from under the wheel long enough for full extension of the shock (whick isn't long).

I could see Muzikman's thought to though. Check all your swaybar bolts. If you've loosened the bolts that hold it to the frame recheck them and make sure they have the 90 or so lbs of torque needed. I first had 45-60 on mine and they loosened up quick.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
When i had my AC coils, I had the same thing happen to me. I never found out what it was. When I removed them and replaced them with the radflo coilovers, the noise stopped. I never had my sway bar hooked up so it wasnt that. I think that it might have been from the shock being overexteded or something.

·
on line
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I still get a lot of banging noises from the front end with these coils. It's getting pretty annoying.

...not sure what to look at.

Anyone got any more advice?

I think i just need to get the Rad Flos. [gotta get that past my wife]

AC front springs have issues.

...my 2¢

Z.

·
on line
246 Posts
its obvious to me that you are hearing the coilbucket contact- there is no getting around hearing it without the tc's that have a bump or what another member here did, using some rubber tubing-in fact its the thread below this one.(right now)

good thread though-spacers cause contact-so do ac coils but not as much and now it sounds like the radflo's pretty much eliminate them-but that probably has something to do with the spring/rate. although ill bet you still have contact with the rad's at full droop. on another note-id rather be having bucket contact than the shock stopping droop travel and blowing the shock.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
When i had my AC coils, I had the same thing happen to me. I never found out what it was. When I removed them and replaced them with the radflo coilovers, the noise stopped. I never had my sway bar hooked up so it wasnt that. I think that it might have been from the shock being overexteded or something.
NOW YOU TELL ME! Oh well, to late now. :blackeye: :albino:

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Turtle said:
....Your noise could be your topping out your shocks if you are have the front wheel drop into a hole....
I'm going to agree with this one.

I've had the AC coils and topping-out became the norm after a while. I also wheeled the hell out of it and never once made coil bucket contact, at least not enough to leave a mark.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, no coil bucket contact and so far I have had no problems with the AC coils.

I installed them on 2/4/06 at the 12360 Miles. I now have over 41K miles and I wheel all the time. I have gone through a front diff and rear diff, but the AC coils on the stock Bils are still going. Now, I do plan to change them out for the RadFlo's, but that is based on desire to have a better setup, not a problem with the current setup.

I have had two clunks. One was a loose swaybar end. The other (which I still have) is becuase of a banged up LCA mount which is causing noise as the control arm moves up and down (kokopop had the same problem).

·
on line
2,938 Posts
All my clunks are gone after I had my LCA mounts fixed.

My issue now is I damage them again they will have to be "rebuilt"

·
on line
1,320 Posts
You're not gonna have coil bucket contact with the AC coils if you have stock shocks because the shock limits the droop and thus does not allow the UCA to hit the coil bucket!
As Syn and Muzik have stated the noise will be the shock topping out because of the excessive force of the spring unloading and forcing the shock to extend down.

·
on line
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'm the the same boat that Koko was in. My passenger side LCA mount is jacked. I thought the noise was coming from the driver's side but I think that was just because that's where I sit.

Koko, you got a shop to fix yours? I was thinking of getting a big breaker bar and try to bend it back out.

Z.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts