Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro 4X
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the Alldogs Off-road lift kit that includes bilstein 5100s, leaf springs, and also picked up the ado uca’s. Xterra rides awesome on 33s with 1.25inch spacers. Now I’m hearing clunks in the front end when going over bumps..the struts came assembled from ADO. I also have new LCAs which are Mevotech supremes. Any ideas?
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
2006 Off-road, ADO 2" HD lift, Grabbers
208 Posts
Double check all nuts and bolts.
Suspens, axle, hub, breaks, everything.

I had a clunk when I replaced my suspension, with ADO and Mevotech as well. I did not tighten one bolt and nut on my steering rack, because I also replaced the bushings. No more clunck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Double check all nuts and bolts.
Suspens, axle, hub, breaks, everything.

I had a clunk when I replaced my suspension, with ADO and Mevotech as well. I did not tighten one bolt and nut on my steering rack, because I also replaced the bushings. No more clunck.
I will do that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't you just replace your Rack & Pinion? Could that be the thing that is causing the clunk?
Maybe, I did tighten the rack bolts with my
Impact but maybe it’s the c clamp bolt on the rack that’s loose . I don’t feel the clunk in my steering wheel. I’ll have to recheck everything

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have coil bucket contact. With your setup, you’ll probably need to grind some metal from the coil bucket so the UCA doesn’t contact it on full droop.
I have the Alldogs high clearance upper control arms, that shouldn’t be the case

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don’t know about the all-dogs UCAs, but I still wouldn't be surprised if that wasn’t the source of the clunk. If so, there should be some very slight bare metal on the coil bucket rim. I had to trim mine even with SPC UCAs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t know about the all-dogs UCAs, but I still wouldn't be surprised if that wasn’t the source of the clunk. If so, there should be some very slight bare metal on the coil bucket rim. I had to trim mine even with SPC UCAs.
Ok cool I will deff check out the rim…did you just use an angle grinder ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed the all dog ucas with the bilsteins and had some slight coil bucket contact on the passenger side. It was just a bit, but enough to be audible. Couple minutes with a Dremel and that fixed it. Kinda hard to get a clear picture of it but that’s how my control arm looked where it was rubbing
I had emailed them about it and they let me know they were getting very few reportings of it dude the variance in coil buckets.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Bumper

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I installed the all dog ucas with the bilsteins and had some slight coil bucket contact on the passenger side. It was just a bit, but enough to be audible. Couple minutes with a Dremel and that fixed it. Kinda hard to get a clear picture of it but that’s how my control arm looked where it was rubbing
I had emailed them about it and they let me know they were getting very few reportings of it dude the variance in coil buckets. View attachment 143025
Wow I gotta check it out, the inside of the upper arm?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah that was on the inside of the upper arm where the ball joint is mounted. Kinda hard to tell with everything installed but I was able to feel it with my fingers once it was cleaned up

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Were you able to tighten everything down to spec yet? If so, is the clunk still around?
Yea I checked everything.. the only thing I didn’t check yet is the rack and the big c clamp that’s on the rack itself. I don’t feel a clunk in the steering wheel so idk if that’s it. I did notice a little bit of bucket contact with the upper arms so I grinded the rim down a tad.

·
on line
107 Posts
I assume that the struts were pre-assembled? I had 5100's installed at a Nissan dealer, the service write I had at the time was a good dude and so I threw him this busiess. The mechanic didnt' know that there were 2 washters that needed to go into the tube, he only put in one and I had a horrible clunking noise. I finally called Bilstein and they immediately knew the issue. I obviously never let them touch my truck again, but it was fixed and in process I got new springs as they tried to troubleshoot the issue under extended warranty.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I assume that the struts were pre-assembled? I had 5100's installed at a Nissan dealer, the service write I had at the time was a good dude and so I threw him this busiess. The mechanic didnt' know that there were 2 washters that needed to go into the tube, he only put in one and I had a horrible clunking noise. I finally called Bilstein and they immediately knew the issue. I obviously never let them touch my truck again, but it was fixed and in process I got new springs as they tried to troubleshoot the issue under extended warranty.
Yea had them assembled from Alldogs off road. That sounds like a royal pita, glad you got it sorted

1 - 20 of 25 Posts