Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought this CLINOMETER from EvilBay and wanted a really clean install for it. The little cubby on the dash (above the radio) looked to be the perfect spot for it. However, it didn't look good to me just the way it was. Soooo...I had to do a little modifying. 1 Dremel and LOTS of patience later, we are getting somewhere. Here is how it is going so far...

Welp, I cut a gaping hole in my dash. It was quite an experience. Not as bad as I had anticipated, but not easy by any means. I did experience the melting of the plastic, and it doesn't feel good when it hits your hands. Also, a little scare when the cutting disc that I was using decided to shatter in the middle of a 35,000 RPM cut, while my wife was holding the panel steady. A piece of disc flew at her and dinged off her forehead. Fortunately, she was alright, just a little shaken up. Needless to say, that was the end of my helping hand. ;) But, I managed to finish it up and get it to almost perfection, in regards to functionality for the clinometer. It doesn't look all that pretty right now, but I am going to touch it up with rubber molding, to make it look clean. In all the hubbub of cutting it last night, I didn't manage to get any pictures of the actual cutting process. I was so afraid that I was going to mess something up, I just wanted to keep my concentration on the Dremel. So, no actual cutting pics. However, I DID take some after pics so that you can at least see where I am going with this. I am pretty pleased with the results of the cutting. The project is not complete yet, for I still have to connect the wires, bolt it down to the dash, touch up the dials in some way and get the molding trim around it. But, I think these pics give a pretty good idea of how I am going to have it looking. So, without further ado...

My huge gaping hole in the dash. Wow... That is about all I can say. Glad the warranty is expired. :)

Another look at the hole. In this pic, I fitted a piece of generic 3M weatherstrip that I had modified a bajillion times to the front to act as a buffer/cushion for the clino. I tried this method the whole way around, but after 2 hours of cutting and screwing with it, I gave up for the day. Too damn hot outside.

The clinometer, just sitting in the hole. This is how it is going to look once everything is said and done. Looks pretty good, almost like it was made for my X. :)

Another angle of the clino in its new home.

Yet another angle.

From the outside looking in.

I may or may not try to mess with the color of the clino casing. I almost want to spray a thin coat of the bedliner spray on it, as the color and texture will be almost exact to that of the dash. Not entirely sure yet. But, for now, I am happy with the way it is coming along. Just have to get that pesky molding taken care of to clean it up. ;)

**UPDATE**
I DID get the molding taken care of last night, but it was way too dark for me to take any pictures. SO...those will have to wait until today. It looks pretty good, though. Almost done. ;)

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not exactly 100% positively sure as to the model number right now. I can check when I get home and throw it up here. I DO know that it is only found STOCK on the 89-96 Janapese Nissan 4WD. I believe the guy said this one came out of a Pathfinder or Patrol. That dash cubby was almost perfectly designed for it. :)

·
on line
332 Posts
i was looking at a stupid jeep clino. thank god you saved me from that one. I am just wondering how acurate it is. If you have a macro lense take some closeups.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once it is installed and secured, I will take some good pics. No macro lense, though. Just a standard Olympus digital. But, it is good. The accuracy is pretty good, from just playing around with it. Not super familiar with the altimeter, and since it is in millibars, I am not sure of the accuracy. I used inches of mercury whenever I am computing pressure at work. But, the guy I bought it from said that it was calibrated before he sent it to me, and it is hard to get them out of calibration...according to the parts guy. The only downside to purchasing this was the fact that it is a seriously hot commodity, and I ended up shelling out about $80 for it, with shipping from New Zeland. BUT...it is looking like it might be worth it. :)

·
on line
332 Posts
heck yea it is hot. If you had the part number id order it today. This will resolve my roll over anxiety, Ive done it too many times in my old jeeps. Some of the trails i hit dont really have any option for error.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
on line
332 Posts
I think i am just going to hold out for the part number.

·
on line
641 Posts
Jodokast872 said:
I am just wondering how acurate it is
Can you say "Pythagorean Theorem"?

All you need are a couple of straight pieces of something, and a ruler or tape measure. You could use two pieces of pipe, but something with a flat surface, such as a 2x4, or angle iron, or a 6-foot level would be better.

Just place one piece on one axis of the X (across for Roll, lengthwise for Pitch), put the other piece on top, and then lift the lower end of the upper piece until it is horizontal. That's why using a level for at least the top piece makes it easier (i.e. no need to put a level on top of the top piece).

Once the upper piece is level, measure the distance between the pieces. You have to do that at a known distance from where the two pieces are 'hinged together' (i.e. opposite end from the end you lifted).

Now you have the lengths of two sides of a triangle, and can use the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the angle of Pitch or Roll.
Pythagorean Theorem Calculator

For example, say you used 6-foot levels, placed across the X, on the roof rack side tubes. One person held the upper ends together so the ends of the levels were even with each other. The other person lifted the lower end of the upper level until the level was horizontal, and at that point that end of the upper level was 6 inches above the end of the lower level.

Using the above online calculator, click the "Hypotenuse" button, and enter "72" (6 feet is 72 inches) and "6", and then click the "Calculate" button.

The Roll is 4.7636 degrees. However, note the value calculated for the hypotenuse - 72.25 inches. In other words, if you measured properly, at right angles to the end of the upper level, you would have been 1/4 of an inch beyond the end of the lower level. You can use this same calculator to see that if the end of the lower level is used, you would have been doing the 6-inch measurement at 71.75 inches along the upper level, and the Roll would be 4.7802 degrees.

If you are doing a 'real test', you'll want to make sure to do the measurement properly (i.e. at right angles to the horizontal piece). For example, for a 30 degree Roll, you'll be getting a measurement of 36 inches between the top level and the end of the lower level, but that will be done at 62.354 inches along the top level.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okey-dokie. I will taek a picture of it as soon as I get home tonight. Might be closer to 8pm, my time. But, I will get a pic with everything that it has. I DO know that these were only stock on the Japanese Nissan 4WDs.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dpatton said:
Can you say "Pythagorean Theorem"?

and then a bunch of crazy stuff that I didn't understand.
WHAT????

mcampana...I DID get it off from EvilBay. Expensive, but it looks to be worth it.

·
on line
332 Posts
i would use the pythagorean theorem but that would violate my first rule of four wheeling:

1. NEVER do complex mathematics in a emergency situation.

ergo, the gauges.

·
on line
641 Posts
Jodokast872 said:
NEVER do complex mathematics in a emergency situation
A)
grade-school math isn't supposed to be considered "complex"
B)
I was only suggesting the use of mathematics for testing the gauges (i.e. static test), not while driving
C)
If it's an emergency, use calculus, not trigonometry!

;-)

·
on line
332 Posts
ok, i understand now. I just wanted to know the increments on the face.

and complex is refering to the fact that when i rollover my brain goes "man, this sucks" not "i wonder what impact vector and rate of acceleration am i traveling at"

you canadians are so analytical.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jodokast872 said:
not "i wonder what impact vector and rate of acceleration am i traveling at"
I am not entirely sure that the clinometer that I have give that information. Maybe that Jeep one does, though. :D

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Jodokast872 said:
ok, i understand now. I just wanted to know the increments on the face.

and complex is refering to the fact that when i rollover my brain goes "man, this sucks" not "i wonder what impact vector and rate of acceleration am i traveling at"

you canadians are so analytical.
It's because they have to answer a question to win prizes and you don't want to lose out on your prize now do ya.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts