Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Developed a clicking sound coming from front end when in four wheel drive, goes away when in 2wd. Sounds like it clicks with each rotation of tire. Any advice appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Depends on how hard the "click" is. If you know it's not your CV's and you're not getting drive line vibrations (typical of the u-joints being bad) you may want to drain your front diff and see how it comes out. When I broke a couple teeth off my spyder gears it would approach an obstacle, attempt to climb, until it hit the broken teeth, then "CLICK" and I could watch my front tires not move.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Like N.Y.X, my front differential clicked when some of the teeth broke. 4WD wouldn't engage and it would click horribly.. it goes away when turned back to 2WD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont think it's u joint both were replace 25k ago symptoms were different, problem started when wheeling. Will check front different for metal. If teeth broken what would be best fix. Replace entire assembly with one from junk yard, pay someone to repair gears. I done plenty of easy to moderate auto work,never gears though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Ok, so you have 3.13 gears. I have the carrier, but it's out of a Non-Pro/OR MT, so 3.54. There is a difference in the ARB locker for some reason which makes me think there could also be in issue trying to use a 3.54 carrier with a 3.13 gear set. But someone with more experience could chime in.

Edit: Actually it states "3.54 and down" so it makes me think it would work. I have both the carrier that would do the job as well as a complete 3.36 r180 if you were looking to swap a m226 in the rear.
https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-frontier-air-locker-by-arb-2005-front-r180a-354-down-p-36072.html?osCsid=6f2fhtg8ud43ck12gev64ml9p4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have time to look at the front different this weekend, I'll let you know what I find
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts