Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, help me out...

Noticed a clicking noise coming from the front portion of my X. Here are the details:

1. Not RPM dependent. Rules out engine problem.

2. No rocks in tires. Checked. Twice.

3. Taking out of drive has no effect. Putting it in 4hi, 4lo has no effect. If the car is rolling, I hear the clicking. Very slight. Cant tell if it's metallic or not. It is enough to bug me, but my wife would not notice it.

4. Very odd side effect...VDC turned off and won't come back on, no matter how much I hit the button.

Anyone had anything similar?

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Hey Tom, did you happen to hit anything on the road or had a nasty bottom out at Pismo? The only reason i ask is because upon attempting on of those hills at Pismo, my trucks front end slammed hard onto the base of the hill and when driving home, i noticed my steering wheel was cocked a little to the left even while driving straight. Last week while driving on the freeway the stupid VDC OFF/SLIP light come on.

Took it to the dealer and they said it was the steering angle sensor. Funny thing is they already replaced the sensor a few months ago. When the service manager plugged in the Nissan scan tool, he asked if i hit anything and of course i said "NO". Reason being, the steering angle calibration was off due to the steering wheel cocked to the left. Im not too sure on the clicking but the VDC off light might be due to your steering angle sensor being mis-aligned. Sorry for the long response but hope this helps.

·
on line
99 Posts
if it's when your moving and is not rpm related, check out your drive shaft, or cv's. this is not neccesarily a safe suggestion, but i once diagnosed a noise while riding on the slider (very slowly) while a friend drove.

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SITREP:

Transfer case is cooked sandwich bread(ie. toast)

Replacing for free. Would like to point out the truck was covered in mud when I dropped it off. Not a word was said about abuse, so don't take no for an answer at your dealer.

My wife said "What truck did you want before the Xterra?"

I said "Oh, a Land Rover Defender 90."

She Said "Why didn't you buy one of those?"

"'Cause they are notoriously unreliable."

"Huh, So is your Xterra."

I could be driving a Defender right now. I hate it when my wife is right.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
TOM, does this clicking noise happen when you are coasting to a stop? I have a slight clicking noise but mine sounds like its coming from the rear somewhere, like in the rear axle. I heard it more while i was sitting at the back. It comes and goes and is not consistent. Was your clicking consistent? Mine sounds more like the play in the drivetrain.

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very steady. Easy for me to tell that it is coming from the front. Had a buddy back it up and could hear it. Up to 15mph or so. Sounds like it is seperate problem.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
I know this is a threadjack, but Tom, do u still have sand coming out from the pismo run?

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sand? I have no sand whatsoever in my Xterra. Unless you count the sand blaster known as my A/C. Or the sand in my seats...or the sand in my carpet, or in the utili-tracs, or the sand in my suspension. But other then that? Nothing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts