Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed a new sound coming from the engine compartment. I'm stopped at a light and I can hear a faint clicking noise coming from the engine compartment. When I got home I leave the X running, put the transmission in drive, apply the parking brake and open the hood; as I soon find out the clicking can only be heard when the car is stopped and either in drive or reverse. With the hood open, I put my ear next to the region of which I can now pinpoint the origin of the clicking noise. I think it is the "EVAP canister purge valve unit" emitting the clicking noise. It is directly to the front-right and top of the engine, almost right behind the MAP sensor. Does anyone know if there is something now wrong with it? Or has someone heard of this issue before? I have 18000 miles on my X. Thanks.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
You dont think you need to put some better gas in it for a few weeks/fill ups? I know when i had a jeep cherokee that if you used the crap gas too much that you would get some valve clicking/ noise. I always try to think of the simpliest answer first. But hey, since you only have 18k on the thing take it in to the dealer and let them figure it out.

·
on line
83 Posts
I hear the noise to, I have an 06 S 4x4 6 speed. I have 16,000 on my truck and when I sit in my girlfriends driveway I can really hear it. It sounds like it will click and then the engine will rev down maybe 100rpm. It's very faint, I thought everyone experienced it.

·
on line
60 Posts
yeah, I hear it too in my 05 S 4x4. It's really faint, but noticable. However I never noticed it in the summer, just during the cold months.

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I brought my X to the dealer today, and they ran the engine for 30 to 40 minutes; the technician reported no abnormal sounds. Also, no codes were stored, so everything checked out fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts