Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going up a hill with small rocks at low revs in 4LO and spinning just a little bit. The real was locked. The noise it made is very hard to desribe, but seemed almost as if tension was building up and then a sping let loose, and it reapeated until I got to the top and put it in 4HI again.

Is this noise normal? With all the hub bub about blowing diffs, I'm nervous. I THOUGHT I was taking it real easy, but maybe not.

How can I check the diff to see if its functioning normaly?
And is any noise at all normal?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, when i blew my rear diff, the only way I knew was when on the street going around a bend. The rear would bind and then break loose. When I jacked the rear up and spun the wheels I was expecting to hear some clicking or some sort of noise and I did not (not even with a mechanics stethiscope). But I would hit the road, go around the corner, you would feel the rear bind up and then pop (well, more like a bang sound).

I will say this, I have wheeled a lot, been locked a lot and I can't say I have ever heard any "clicking" coming from the rear.

I have how ever had sticks stuck places they should not be and would click off yokes, drive shafts, half shafts, wheels, etc. I have also had decent sized rocks get stuck in my tire lugs and cause a click sound once I hit pavement.

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not rocks, and its not sticks. I dont THINK its the back, as it sounded to be from the front. Everything seems fine on the road (at least in 2WD). And I think it might be an important piece of evidence that it only happens when the tension of pulling the truck up hill is released (when it slips).

The one other time I got this noise is pulling a stump out. I have a manual, so I would get a small run for it, yank, and then push in the clutch to coast back up to the stump for another yank. Each time I hit the clutch and released the tension in the drive train, it did the noise.

I had a feeling its nothing to worry about, but if people dont start stepping forward with, "Oh, they all do that." I'm going to panic!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I don't have a manual, so I am not sure there.

There is a lot of slack in the driveline, but under tention it should not make noise.

To check the front diff, put it in 4wd, shut off the ending, jack the front, yank on the half shafts and see if there is play, if there is, you blew a side shaft inside the diff. If there is no play, grab a wheel and rotate it by hand. Ad you turn it the other wheel should turn the oposite direction. If there is excessive play (as in you get a half rotation of the wheel before the other side moves), you have a blown diff. If when the other side moves, it rotates in the same direction as the wheel you are turning, you have a blown diff.

If you have none of that, I won't say you don't have a blown diff, but I would keep an eye on it.

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muzikman said:
There is a lot of slack in the driveline, but under tention it should not make noise.
It doesnt make noise when its being used (under tension) but the noise comes in when the tension is let loose rapidly. I putted around a parking lot in 4HI and 4LO (but only straight with the locker activated) and I heard nothing abnormal driving. Only when a lot of power is being used and then instantly not.

I REALLY dont want to take it to the dealer if nothing is wrong. And there are only like 5K miles on it.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
"I REALLY dont want to take it to the dealer if nothing is wrong. And there are only like 5K miles on it."

THAT is exactly why i owuld take it to the dealer. Why not use your warrenty? Worse thing that could happen is there is nothing wrong and you wasted an hour. Or they say hmmmm..........keep an eye on that. Then at least they know something may be up with it. Thats all im saying. If i have warrenty, then im taking it in.

·
on line
99 Posts
I think I know the noise that your talking about, when you let off the gas real quick after being under load in 4lo? there is a quick klack klack klcak, or mine also seems to do it if i clutch in quickly in lo. we've got another 06 MT in our group and his made the same noise a couple of times on the trail, it may just some slack making the noise, AT's probably too slushy to cause the noise.

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input MC, but I was hoping to do it the easy way as I'm only 24 and this is my first real OR vehicle.

Thanks 8th, Jac, and Muzik

1 - 11 of 11 Posts