Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is producing a steady, light clicking when idling and it increases/decreases frequency when gas is applied/removed. In the past when I owned a Wrangler, this had been a case of lifters needing adjustment a.k.a. valve clearance. I called the local garage who told me they don't do that anymore........? :violent1:

Anyway, what's the most likely cause, and what's the fix?

Thanks

·
on line
2,044 Posts
I had a similar situation and my mechanic.buddy checked my oil amd with his fingers to feel condition of oil. I needed and oil change
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
436 Posts
I had a serpentine belt starting to break up that caused a ryhtmic ticking the increased/decreased with engine speed. A sliver of it had broken loose and was slapping against something every time it came around.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, what I'm hearing is that it could be many, many things. I'm going to go the safe route, get an oil change and tune-up with new plugs and have them check/adjust my timing. A bottle of fuel system cleaner never hurt either.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
i have the same clicking when it's cold. I tell them about it every time i take it in for an oil change, they tell me it's normal. usually only when it's cold, my father thinks it sounds like an exhaust leak off the manifold, i guess it's normal?!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
i have the same clicking when it's cold. I tell them about it every time i take it in for an oil change, they tell me it's normal. usually only when it's cold, my father thinks it sounds like an exhaust leak off the manifold, i guess it's normal?!
mine sounds just like that! I get a clicking noise when cold on the drivers side of the engine..i was thinking it may be exhaust too, but idk.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Its more than likely just and injector tick. if its happening only when its cold, let your engine idle and warm up before you take off on a drive. doing that will actually help out your engine alot in the future as far as maintenance is concerned and will help out with your tick alot as well. i have this same problem and its just an injector tick. happens alot with newer vehicles with MPI. just dont go get a mitsubishi thats ticking..... thats alot worse. been there done that.:(

·
Registered
550 Posts
nissans and exhaust manifold leaks. that is all. every SUV i've owned by nissan has had an exhaust manifold tick. but they've all made it past 400,000 kms, so I put up with the ticking.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It's probably just lifter/injector noise. Change your oil, you might notice a difference.

This is NOT the timing chain, trust me. Let's please not turn this into a threadjack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6J444x34bw

1 - 16 of 16 Posts