Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always liked the clear look in the front. So I got bored and decided to
take the orange reflectors out of the headlight housing. This was something
I've been wanting to do but was always too lazy to get around to.

The small corner 194 bulb gives off a pale yellow/orange light so I stuck
in a single white LED and resistor. In the pictures, it looks blue for some
reason, but it does give off a white light.

·
on line
210 Posts
Side Orange reflector on the front are there for something: they are marker when your are parked in the dark and someone is comming perpendicular to you.
I'm sure USMC will pitch in to give more info about the white/yellow in the front and the red in the rear...

Your mod look nice but I don't think that the cop in the background of your last pic would agree with it...

·
on line
551 Posts
Looks Good!
I like the clear look also.
Might have to check into that.
There is also an aftermarket bulb the looks clear, but when on is amber.
In Colorado it can be either white or amber, so I didn't delve into further than that.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to not have any yellow/amber light in the front which was
why I used the LED instead. I was going to buy one of those premade
194 bulbs but figured $5+ for a pair was not worth the money. Most use a
single LED but have a nice plastic socket. I already had extra LEDs lying
around anyways. Doesn't look as nice but does the job. :cheers:

To diffuse the light like in the pic with the flat top and inverted cone, I sanded
the top flat and drilled in.

·
on line
631 Posts
looks good. i think if you black out the housing it would look cleaner, since your X is black (isnt it??)

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yep not legal in any state. Part of the required lighting for a vehicle to be offered for sale in US. When the parking lights are on it must light amber there, and be of a certain amount of amber, More is ok, less is not. That is why they have the lens, so it emits a certain amount of amber. (Just a bulb won't do) Depending on how much gets reflected it might pass if the LED was Amber but not white at all. You can get away with it, but you can get caught also. Plus, if you are in an accident you can be cited for not having the Amber. Outch. So keep the parts. MC
http://fmvss108.tripod.com/statelaws.htm (Sucks but has list of where to look state by state) But this link has an example of what i am referring to in 2nd section and some useful links. http://www.berwynheightspd.com/tinted windows.htm
Removing this part of the light is illegal in all states.
It's a cool MOD for a stand still show, not DD.
OH, and you also removed the required reflector, illegal also.

·
on line
189 Posts
xterrock said:
I've always liked the clear look in the front. So I got bored and decided to
take the orange reflectors out of the headlight housing. This was something
I've been wanting to do but was always too lazy to get around to.

The small corner 194 bulb gives off a pale yellow/orange light so I stuck
in a single white LED and resistor. In the pictures, it looks blue for some
reason, but it does give off a white light.

that looks hot..
i want to do that with mi truck..

one question your amber for your turn signals..
are those white led bulbs too because they look white in the picture...

and where did you buy your Blue LED bulbs from..

i think i am gonner do this dis weekend..
good projectt

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Ok, I'll post it so you can decide, This is MD but all states will have almost exact same laws as it's more or less a Federally required thing.
Don't do the Mod and expect no trouble.

ABRIDGED VERSION OF THE MARYLAND VEHICLE LIGHT LAWS
Title 22 of the Maryland Transportation Article

22-209(a) FRONT LAMPS - Front Clearance Lamps, Identification Lamps, and those Marker Lamps and
Reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an AMBER color.

22-227(b) RED OR BLUE LIGHT VISIBLE FROM THE FRONT - Except as required or permitted in 22-218
of this subtitle, (regarding the operation of Emergency or School Vehicles) a person may not drive or move any
vehicle or equipment on any highway with any lamp or device on it that displays a Red or Blue Light
visible directly from the front of it’s center.

22-227(d) WHITE LIGHT VISIBLE FROM THE REAR - Except as authorized elsewhere in this subtitle, a person
may not drive or move any vehicle or equipment on any highway with any lamp or device that displays a
WHITE light visible directly from it’s rear.

22-227(e) DRIVING OR MOVING VEHICLE DISPLAYING FLASHING LIGHT - Except as authorized
elsewhere in this subtitle, a person may not drive or move any vehicle or equipment on any
highway while the vehicle or equipment displays any Flashing Light.

22-227(f) COLOR OF LIGHTS ON REAR OF VEHICLE - All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear
of any vehicle shall display or reflect a RED Color, except the Stoplight or Other Signal Device, which may be Red,
Amber or Yellow, except that the light illuminating the Registration Plate shall be
White and the light emitted by a Backup Lamp shall be White or Amber.

22-221(a) SIDE COWL OR FENDER LAMPS - Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two side
cowl or fender lamps that: (1) Emit an Amber or White Light without glare, and (2) Are located at
or near the front of the vehicle.

22-221(b) RUNNING BOARD COURTESY LAMPS - Any motor vehicle may be equipped on each side of the
vehicle with not more than one running board courtesy lamp that emits a White or Amber light without glare.

NOTE: Green Lights are only permitted on Taxicabs as Flashing “Holdup Lights.� See 22-218(g).

22-205(a) REFLECTORS - In General, After July 1, 1971, every motor vehicle, trailer, etc., shall carry on the rear,
either as part of the tail lamps or separately, two or more RED Reflectors meeting the requirements of this section.

22-205(b) PLACEMENT; VISIBILITY - Every reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height of not more than 60
inches nor less than 15 inches and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at

night from all distances within 600 feet to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps, except that visibility at a greater distance is hereinafter required of reflectors on certain types of vehicles. When two reflectors are required, they shall be as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

22-230(c) USING LAMPS OR EQUIPMENT - A person may not use on a motor vehicle, trailer, etc., a Headlamp, Auxiliary
or Fog Lamp, Rear Lamp, Signal Lamp, or Reflector which reflector or lamp is required under this title,
or parts of any of the foregoing, which tend to Change the Original Design or Performance.

22-101(a) DRIVING WITH IMPROPER EQUIPMENT - In General. - A person may not drive and the owner may not cause
or knowingly permit to be driven on any highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles that:
(i) Is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person; (ii) Does not contain those parts or is not
at all times equipped with lamps and other equipment in proper condition and adjustment
as required in this title; or (iii) Is equipped in any manner in violation of this title.

VIOLATIONS OF ANY OF THESE VIOLATIONS ARE PUNISHABLE BY A TRAFFIC CITATION
WITH A FINE OF $40.00 or $50.00 DEPENDING ON THE SECTION.

Now mind you this is an abridged version, laws are more specific and strict. I hear people getting stopped for this all the time on the scanner.

·
on line
237 Posts
Pretty sure the same for Canada (or at least BC)...although I'm not going to search the MVA for the appropriate section for you.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
muzikman said:
Should have asked the police in the background what they thought. ;)
LOL Yea, took me a while to get that. LOL It's a spare time I want to stop you so I can thing. In the case of an accident, well, it would work against you. A lawyer would catch it in a picture pretty quick.

Who was looking in the background? Muzikman.

This guy was selling a table on E bay, and someone was looking in the bacground. You get the idea and moral of story.
Do a image search for How can you tell this tabel was being sold by a man?)

MC

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jang Pilmo said:
one question your amber for your turn signals..
are those white led bulbs too because they look white in the picture...

and where did you buy your Blue LED bulbs from..

i think i am gonner do this dis weekend..
good projectt
The turn signal bulbs are those xenon whatever bulbs. Blue colored glass
that puts out a whiter light than the regular clear glass bulbs which put out
a pale 'yellow-ish' light. You can kind of see it in the pic below.

The corner LEDs are actually white in person. They look blue in the picture
for some reason.

LEDs I bought from ebay for another project... 100 for like $6 or something.
You can get 100 of the same color for cheaper. OR 100- 20 each in red,
green, blue, white, and amber for around $6.

The cop is a neighbor by the way.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts