Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I randomly tried scrubbing my headliner (first time in 8.5yrs of ownership) with GRIME BOSS wipes from HD. They worked amazingly. They’re like a Clorox type of wipe only they’re marketed to remove paint, grease and adhesive. They’re also not as soaking wet as a Clorox wipe; which I suspect is a good thing to avoid saturating the headliner and loosening the glue. I’ve never cleaned this before. I’ve easily removed eight years of staining without breaking a sweat. Random dirt, cigarette/cigar smoke, 3yr old pizza sauce (don’t ask)... previously the headliner had a kind of sticky film covering it (nicotine/smoke?) Now after simply wiping with these it feels clean and soft. Just thought I’d share. I always though cleaning the headliner would be a big order; which is why I never did it. I don’t have any before/after pics. But visualize it looking like shit for the “before” and now looking nearly new for the “after”.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,111 Posts
interesting.. been looking for a good product to use on the cloth seats. any recommendations?
Any good fabric cleaner, water, and a shop vac.
The key is NOT to spot clean, but do the ENTIRE seat in one go.

Use cleaner (I use Tuff Stuff spray on.), work it in with cloth, brush, and/or moist sponge, vac, let sit for a few minutes, go over again if needed, vac, sit, then dampen the seat with plain water and pull it all out with the vac.

The key is getting the ENTIRE seat damp.
If you spot clean you can end up with “water marks” when it dries. That’s because the stain is deeper into the foam than just the fabric cover and comes right back as it dries.
It may take a couple of cleanings depending on how dirty, but I’ve found this method works best.

Only 2 ways to completely clean the seats- remove the covers and wash em in a tub and soak the foam, OR take the seats out and pressure wash. No way am I that committed, lol!

Hope I helped.:cool:

·
Registered
280 Posts
The key is NOT to spot clean, but do the ENTIRE seat.
Use cleaner (I use Tuff Stuff spray on.), work it in with cloth, brush, and/or moist sponge, vac, let sit for a few minutes, go over again if needed, vac, sit, then dampen the seat with plain water and pull it all out with the vac.

If you spot clean you can end up with “water marks” when it dries. That’s because the stain is deeper into the foam than just the fabric cover and comes right back as it dries.
It may take a couple of cleanings depending on how dirty, but I’ve found this method works best.

Only 2 ways to completely clean the seats- remove the covers and wash em in a tub and soak the foam, OR take the seats out and pressure wash. No way am I that committed, lol!

Thanks man! Good advice on doing the whole seat and not just one spot... i wouldn't of thought of that haha.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interesting.. been looking for a good product to use on the cloth seats. any recommendations?
I use Chemical Guys Fabric Cleaner. (Chemical Guys Foaming Citrus Fabric Clean |). Squirt some concentrate in a bucket, add water and then work into the entire seat using a large plastic scrub brush. After scrubbing clean go over it evenly with a shop vac. Best to do this during the Summer when the sun/heat can dry the seats out quickly. They do get rather wet with this method. I find the traditional foaming upholstery cleaners to be lackluster.

The key is NOT to spot clean, but do the ENTIRE seat in one go.

Exactly what @MartinX said... get the entire seat! Our upholstery is prone to water marks and streaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts