Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
139 Posts
I turn the OD off a lot when I'm not on the highway. Why? Because I'd rather force a downshift on a hill than apply more throttle to make the AT downshift. It feels more efficient, but I can't really say if it is because my gas mileage hasn't changed much since I've developed this habit. I'll keep doing it because I prefer the responsiveness of making 4th my highest gear.

D-Rock

·
on line
617 Posts
For best mileage always leave it the option of using OD. Around town the tranny will decide if OD is appropriate. Under low load conditions, it may choose 5th gear at relatively low speeds. But most of the time it will avoid OD, just like you do manually. In fact, I would bet that given the same use of the skinny pedal, the tranny will eek out slightly better mileage numbers in OD that you can by forcing it out of OD.

-Old Army

·
on line
735 Posts
Maybe I would if you have bigger tires and a lot of heavy add-ons, but stock, probably would not. Of course I have an MT so I don't really know what the nissan trans shifts like.

·
on line
500 Posts
I always drive in the city with OD off, because in Portland all the streets are either 35mph or 40mph. As we all know, the transfer case gets touchy around those speeds, so keeping the OD off @ 40mph makes for a smoother ride.

Patrick

·
on line
807 Posts
patrick07 said:
I always drive in the city with OD off, because in Portland all the streets are either 35mph or 40mph. As we all know, the transmission gets touchy around those speeds, so keeping the OD off @ 40mph makes for a smoother ride.

Patrick
I fixed it for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts