Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is new.

I get in the X this afternoon and turn the key. It chugs a couple times, lights come on, then it dies.

Radio still works, windows, all that other electrical. I've got a diehard platinum that's only maybe 2 years old, so it shouldn't be that.

I think it's electrical though... I noticed after the second try, the radio turned on again but was completely reset as though the battery was disconnected.

Any help? I'm wondering if maybe my alternator hasn't been charging the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No check engine lights. Dude just jumped it and it fired right away.

Not sure if it's battery or alternator. He said it's only reading 13.8 / 13.9 volts which is "on the low side of ok".

Not sure what to do. I've got a diehard platinum that should be pretty solid, so who knows...ughgh.

Any suggestions?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
10,980 Posts
Sounds like a terminal connection issue. Make sure they're clean and secured good and tight to the battery.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
267 Posts
No check engine lights. Dude just jumped it and it fired right away.

Not sure if it's battery or alternator. He said it's only reading 13.8 / 13.9 volts which is "on the low side of ok".

Not sure what to do. I've got a diehard platinum that should be pretty solid, so who knows...ughgh.

Any suggestions?
My voltage floats between 13 and 14 (while I'm driving) per my scangauge readout. Doesn't seem low to me.

Check to make sure your terminals are properly seated, pushed down all the way. The battery posts are slightly tapered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Canuck - Might not be your exact issue, but FYI on Diehard Platinums, and batteries in general...

We had a diehard platinum battery die recently in my wife's car. It just made it over 2 years. Which is not as long as I would have expected.

It was easy to tell it was the battery. I ruled out the alternator by using a voltmeter and it was pushing around 14V.

Another way to test is to fully charge the battery (either via the car or a trickle charge), let it sit overnight, and then see what the battery reading is. It should be just over 12V.

I learned a few things about batteries researching this issue. For one, DieHard Platinum's are not maintenance free. Even if if they say they are, you need to add distilled (NOT TAP) water to it every so often. Secondly, contrary to popular belief batteries do worse in hot environments than they do in the cold.

Adding water, I was able to get a few more months of use. But the battery was on its last legs. If the car sat for more than 1 day between uses it wouldn't start. We replaced it with an Autocraft Gold Battery from Advance auto, not really a name I know - BUT the warranty is 5 years. With 3 years FREE replacement. You can't beat that.

I used to have good luck with Diehards. Perhaps mine died because I was unaware that I need to add water to it at least once a year. Or maybe the stifling heat in my garage led to its premature demise. Or still could DieHard quality be going down hill? In the end I won't buy them again, not when others offer a free replacement within 3 years.

Long winded here, but remember to add water!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top