Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever owned a Chevy Express cargo van? I am looking at the 1500 series if I cannot find a 3500 diesel. We are needing a van sooner then ever now and unfortunately the Nissan NV is out of my price range (unless I get one with like 250k+ miles. Looking at either the Chevy's or a Ford Econoline series. Don't care if it's the 150, 250 or 350 but I'd much rather prefer a 350 diesel if I had to go Ford. We are looking at keeping it at 10k or less. Thanks :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
They are basically a Silverado chassis with a van body. Silverado's are solid, but not the best by any means. Cheap and easy to fix and the engines will last a long time and the tranny's are usually pretty solid, if maintained.

I had a 2005 Silverado 1500 4x4 for a work truck and drove it like a stolen rental car for 4 years, about 70k miles. I never let it warm up, drove hard immediately after start up, revved the hell out of it and it never stumbled once. I absolutely loved that truck and even tried to buy it back when the fleet management put it up for sale. I had the driver's seat bottom replaced once and that's it, it never needed any other repairs. It's one of the few trucks I'd replace the Xterra with, but they're getting hard to find with low miles and get even worse mpg's than the xterra. I was averaging 14 mpg's, but that was driving like gas was free and a lot of idle time. 16 mpg's was the best I could ever manage to get, trying to maximize mpg's. Given that vans are basically the same thing with a different body bolted on, I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

The interiors are mostly plastic (except for maybe the Denali's) and the seats won't last 100k miles before they cave in and split, the stock radio's suck but those examples why they are (or at least were) more affordable.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rad thanks for the info. I am leaning more towards the Express. There is just something I like more about it then the Econolines. Never really have been a Ford guy.....BUT, I am happy to hear about a strong motor and tranny. We will be using it a lot for picking up and dropping of bikes and just a general company vehicle. Ive already been drooling over Boulder Offroad's 3-5" lift and 33's :) So MPG will definitely suffer then haha..

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've always been a closet van guy. My parents had an '88 Chevy van when I was a kid and I always loved that thing. I'd LOVE to get one of those diesel 4x4 vans for overlanding and camping.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I drive an Express 1500 with the V6 for work. I have been genuinely impressed with it. I'm not a Chevy fan and not a van fan. I manage drinking water systems and this "little" van has put up with an astonishing amount of abuse. I routinely carry WAY more weight in it than I should, probably why I had to have the rear axle rebuilt recently. One of my co-workers drives the Ford equivalent and I noticed the Chevy has larger stock tire size, which is a plus for me on some the the S roads I find myself going up or down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts