Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did an at-home flush (Matic-S) on my 2009 S.

Stupid question, but, I realized that I'm not "positive" that I check the trans fluid in Park, with engine running. It's not in the owners manual. Some cars specify neutral. Also, does hot or cold give a better reading?

I only ask because I think my shift-points seem a little low after the flush, maybe I'm just paying more attention to them now...

·
on line
2,044 Posts
its very hard to check the atf fluid when engine is cold.... you get quick and accurate results when checking it after driving for 15 minutes. if you over filled atf don't panic.... just get a fish tank size clear hose and with engine off send it down the atf dip stick tube and suck out a little at a time.... that's how I got my level to specs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
dipstick reading

So, I'm solidly in the "Hot" hashmarks when hot, but I think it doesn't hardly register on the dipstick when cold and running in park, is that normal? I figured I'd be in the cold hashmarks... Also, when the truck is shut off, it's way past the Hot hashmarks, but that's gotta be normal... I'm hoping the fluid tolerances for this transmission are anywhere in those Hot hashmarks...

That trans-dipstick stinks, BTW, needs to be black to see the new fluid better!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts