Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
on line
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used seach and couldent find anything, but I was wondering if there is a how to on changing/checking automatic transmission fluid. I looked in the engine bay and coulden't find a dipstick.

·
on line
246 Posts
The dipstick, if looking from the front of the car is on the left hand side of the engine. The dip stick is under a piece of metal that looks like a Z and is bolted down.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
OK, someone explain to me why the tranny dipstick is bolted down...LOL....

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Was looking for that sunday.. to check fluids... Who is the Pencil pusher that made it a bolt down option?

Or it never needs to be changed? or checked?

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Yea, I tried to pull it out and it didn't budge so I didn't want to break it. I got the manual out and it "recommended" taking it to the dealer for fluid checking...huh...WTF???...so then I realized it was bolted in. 10mm bolt. Then it came right out...BUT WHY??????????? :dontknow:

·
on line
1,479 Posts
AZ-Ted said:
My only guess as to why they bolted it in is so that people didn't add an ATF fluid that wasn't compliant with Nissan Matic J specs. I "lost" the dipstick bolt when I did a drain and fill (with Amsoil synthetic ATF).
That is a really good reason. You just may be right on that one!

·
on line
376 Posts
There is a way you can "flush" the tranny yourself. At the dealer they will tell you to do a drain and fill, but that really only gets about 1/3 of the fluid clean. It doesn't get any of the fluid out of the torque convertor, lines, cooler, etc. What you do is pull the drain plug on the tranny, then get someone to crank it up. While they are in the drivers seat, have them change the shifter from park to reverse to drive about every 5 seconds. Meanwhile, you will slowly be adding fluid from the top. Keep an eye on the fluid draining out to be sure you are adding the adequate amount. When I do flushes at work, I use about 15 quarts and that always gets it clean. It won't be cheap buying 15 qts. of MaticJ fluid, but its A LOT cheaper than paying them to do it. Anyway, back on subject. Continue adding until you've done about 10 qts. Then shut the truck off and let it drain the rest of the way. From there, plug it up and add a few quarts. I don't remember right off how many it holds, but start with about 3, then check the level w/ it running. You may have to adjust the level from there a little.

·
on line
807 Posts
That is pretty much how I did it, except I used Amsoil.

·
on line
34 Posts
bwarren228 said:
I don't remember right off how many it holds, but start with about 3, then check the level w/ it running. You may have to adjust the level from there a little.
Amsoil's site says 11qts for the AT. And I think the Nissan Service Manual says 10 7/8 qts, so basically 11.

For those that have done the flush themselves, do you drop the pan too and replace the filter? That would seem just as important as changing the fluid out.

·
on line
527 Posts
The filter should be ok. I am surprised nissan is having us change the tranny fluid this early. My mom's impala has a sealed transmission. Usually you dont need to worry about tranny fluid until 75k to 100k.

·
on line
807 Posts
I think they suggest a drain and refill at 60k, a lot of people do it earlier just to be safe.

·
on line
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help guys. I would never have thought to look under a bolted down piece of metal for a tranny dipstick.

·
on line
32 Posts
checking transmission fluid

In the repair manual, it indicates that after removing the bolt, check the fluid with the dipstick tab turned 180 degrees from its original position and depress it fully. If you don't do it this way, it may indicate that the level is lower than it really is.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Re: checking transmission fluid

howvood said:
In the repair manual, it indicates that after removing the bolt, check the fluid with the dipstick tab turned 180 degrees from its original position and depress it fully. If you don't do it this way, it may indicate that the level is lower than it really is.
Nice. Thanks for pointing that out. I missed it. :)

·
on line
118 Posts
That's all I did. Undo the drain plug, replace the crush washer (same one as the oil pan plug), and retorque. Refill through the dipstick with the same amount of fluid emptied. Drain and fill only used about 4 quarts, so not as effective as a flush.

·
Registered
421 Posts
So If I just kept doing the drain and flush every time I change my oil, it will probably be freshened enough to keep going because the amount of old stuff will get smaller and smaller each time. :idea1:

Now is a drain and fill usually 4 quarts? or does it differ every time you do it? I might buy 5 qts to be on the safe side if it does.:dontknow:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts