Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't matter how old your X is you need to check all of your fluids. I was doing a pre-trip inspection and remembered reading that people have found that their front diff fluid is low. I checked and my front diff was 10oz low and my xfer case was 12oz low. This is on a vehicle that only has 2000 miles on it. There is no leaking, just low from the factory. Do yourself a favor and check your levels. The diffs and xfer plugs take a 10mm hex wrench, ratchet ones work best.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Uhhhhhh!!!!

Dude we dont talk like that on this board!!! you are obviously a noob that comes from XOC! So the moderators might let it slide (i doubt it though)!

This is a family friendly environment and we all offer our help even with the easiest of mods/quick fixes!

Try using your know how in a positive way rather than a negative way! It honestly sounds like you may have been an abused child.... DO YOU NEED A HUG!!

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Edit, This can be an example of what not to say. I have taken out the spelled correctly F words and the like. MC

racinzak said:
mcampana said:
Was it difficult to do the transfercase? What kind of oil did you replace everything with? Wheres the transfer case how to dude! No ones done that yet. Aat least if they have done it, they have been a douche and not said anything.
Damn, you need a how to for changing the transfer fluid?? What a dipship..

Ok, here ya go Einstein; stick a drain pan under the transfer case. Loosen the fill plug first, then remove the drain plug, make sure you clean the metal scum off the magnetic drain plug. Next, tighten the drain plug after the fluid has drained out. Fill the transfer case with Amsoil until it runs back out of the fill plug. Then tighten the the fill plug.

How was that, dumbazz?? You know you are one of the biggest rucktard musclehead dipships on this sight...

Whoa...drop the attitude and go back to XOC!
Edit Yes Please. MC

·
on line
78 Posts
Racinzak,
If thats your idea of an answer you need to go ahead and leave this forum. Some people havent the mechanical background. Thats why the world isnt full of mechanics we need doctors ,police, fastfood workers etc.
I am A.S.E Master certified in collison repair I can do anything in the world as far as collision custom paint etc but I'm not a mechanic, Does that mean I can't do my own oil changes and such? No because I do all my own service work but just because I chose a different path doesn't make me stupid. We have folks from all kinds of backgrounds and careers so dont come over here and slam someone for asking a legitamate question. There aren't stupid question just stupid answers and in some cases people.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Hmm......As most of you know, im not a mechanical retard, but when one of us does something the others havent posted about, we usually post a how to. I did a how to on the sliders with usmc, and one on the frigging side moldings. Not hard things to figure out on your own, but hey, ya never know when someone would like a few photos and such.

As far as the other dude goes........nutsackinyourmouthinzak? Um, yeah............I have nothing to say to you.

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For both I went by the mfgr suggested types and weights. 80w90 gear oil in front diff. Nissan matic D ATF in the transfer case. The fill and drain plugs are the rear side of the xfer case.

You will have to remove the skid on an OR to get to the drain but not the fill.

I took a lid from a gear oil bottle, cut off the tip, forced a 6"L piece of tubing (I only had 1/4" but 3/8" would have been better) over the tip, Wrap the junction up with electrical tape to keep it on, screw the lid w/tube onto the ATF bottle (Yes ti does fit) With a finger over the end of the tube, invert the ATF bottle and slide it above the driveshaft (you will see the space when you are under there), carefully squeeze the bottle, release once in a while to allow air into the bottle, squeeze again untill full (when full some will run out the fill hole)

(no tape on the tube/cap junction for clairity, tape MUST be applied or the tube will come off making a big mess)

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, it goes into 4wd instantly now (it used to take a couple of seconds) and comes out almost as fast (much faster than before)

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Wow, a reply from Gerdo and no verbal beating! What a guy!
That trick ya did with the tubing and such is the main reason why we post how tos or what we did, gives us all an idea or trick to use when we do it ourselves. Ill have to remove my shrock skids for this one. But good pictures dude. I was wondering about the transfercase fluid, since all our diffs have been low. Ive already taken care of my diffs.......Pretty good for a fucktard muscle head huh?!! Im goona do the transfercase before ECXC.

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry that I wasn't rude. I'll try harded next time.

The xfer takes 4.22 pints of fluid (owners manual doesn't give a quantity) and as I said before I was 12oz low. Thats 18% low!

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Gerdo said:
By the way, it goes into 4wd instantly now (it used to take a couple of seconds) and comes out almost as fast (much faster than before)
That's extremely good news and helpful, and thanks for the write-up and the pics. I bet that's been my problem switching back to 2 from 4.

And racinzak, that's the nastiest thing I've heard in awhile. I'm an English teacher; should I have a field day with people's spelling and grammar (like I even give a sh__, lol!). This site (proper spelling, not "sight") is designed to build one another's confidence to get the most out of our vehicles. Being new to automotive repair isn't a matter of intelligence. But posting vicious, insanely angry responses, maybe that is a sign of intelligence--or lack thereof.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
The meat head tard marches on...................... :thefinger:

I was wondering about the shifting..........Good to know its so much quicker now. I just got home from a little 4 wheeling and it was a tad slow.............well, normal anyways, ill have to change everythign sooner. Looks like i know what im doing tomorrow.

And seriously GERDO, could you try to be more of a di#k next time? It helps alot.

Good looking out on the amount of fluid too.

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
d-rap
I was switching in and out on dry, hard asphalt. No clunks, bangs, clicks or jolts.

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mcampana

YES SIR!!!

·
on line
1,320 Posts
wow, glad that post got deleted quick! flashbacks from the xo-other site.

And hey, now i even know how easy it is to change my t-case fluid.... oH WAIT, I don't even have one! :alien: :brilsmurf:

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are pretty easy to change the fluids. Just expect to get a little messy. Use gloves, diff oil will make your hands stink for a while.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts