Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone over on Clubfrontier actually spotted this. The current "International" application guide has a "Salisbury,32 Spline" (Salisbury?) rear axle listed for the 2004-2006 Titan and 2005+ Xterra/Frontier. And according to the guide, they've got an air locker coming out "Mid to Late 2007".

Do they manufacture the Titan overseas? Does it have a different axle? Why isn't this listed in the domestic application guide? The spline count seems right. The only issue is the "10 Bolt RG." If this is a reference to the diff cover, the M226 has 12 bolts.

I'm starting to get a little excited here. This would seem to be the M226. I left a voice mail for the head tech at the ARB office in Washington requesting a call back and haven't heard anything yet. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed...

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I hate you guys.... You already have an available locker for your rear end (factory e-locker), you have a limited slip available already also (the one lord shwartz got), and now you possibly have an ARB air locker coming out!!!!

Anyone want to trade a stock Xterra with the M226 rear end for mine, Straight up??

Not really!

·
on line
1,716 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
I hate you guys.... You already have an available locker for your rear end (factory e-locker), you have a limited slip available already also (the one lord shwartz got), and now you possibly have an ARB air locker coming out!!!!

Anyone want to trade a stock Xterra with the M226 rear end for mine, Straight up??
Sold!
It counts if I deleted the "not really" right?

Really!

·
on line
230 Posts
Hmmm, odd how they claim no plans exists for a locker here...Could be one hand does not know the other hand. That would fix our rear diffs for wheeling, then we can move on to the front disaster.

I do have contacts in Oz for lockers and gears and such. So if ARB does a monster delay in releasing to the US and verifying compatibility,(they usually do) I could order one up from Oz and try it out. Shipping has gone WAY down over the years.

Also, it could be a locker option does not exist in Oz stock? Lockers are biggest in America due to hardcore wheeling. While handy everwhere, seems lockers are biggest in America.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I googled "Salisbury" and came across an old Hemmings Motor News article about the Dana 60. Here's what it said;

The Dana 60 is a Salisbury-type rear-end, meaning the differential carrier removes from the rear of the axle instead of the front.

Also, when I was searching around the Courtesy Nissan parts website I noticed that there is actually a different part # for rear axle shafts for the "Off-Road Package." I hope that doesn't mean that the OR shafts have a different spline count than Non-OR M226 shafts. That could really muck things up for a locker install. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic here...

I'm going to try and call ARB again today.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright... I just got off the phone with a tech at the ARB Washington office. He told me that it's "next on the list" for the Engineering Dept in Australia, and that he guessed the production units wouldn't be available until the first of next year.

I'll be curious to see how this plays into whatever Syndicate has going on...

·
on line
704 Posts
How hard is it to install a locker? I cannot find a used OR with an auto tranny. Given the fact that my girlfriend refuses to drive a manual, I am thinking of getting an S or SE with an auto tranny and then get a locker. How much would that cost me (parts + labor)?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
vman said:
How hard is it to install a locker? I cannot find a used OR with an auto tranny. Given the fact that my girlfriend refuses to drive a manual, I am thinking of getting an S or SE with an auto tranny and then get a locker. How much would that cost me (parts + labor)?
Insalling a locker is hard if you have never looked at a diff before. If you have no previous experience doing something to the rear end (or front end) of a vehicle, I say dont even try it yourself.

As for a locker with a manual transmition (excludes OR models).... nothing yet. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
on line
131 Posts
BoonDox said:
I have my diff out, C200< i will count the splines for every1!
Just maybe it is 31...
Can you measure the width(thickness) of the axle also? That would be the other dimension to determine if the ARB will fit.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
vman said:
How hard is it to install a locker? How much would that cost me (parts + labor)?
diff install is not easy as stated... i got a quote on installing new R&P in my last truck and was quoted about $400... so figure about that much for locker install.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts