Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What started out as a straightforward transaction has me a little perturbed with Alcan Springs.

I've got a 2006 Xterra Offroad package/auto tranny. I relayed this information to them at the time of ordering. They told me don't worry about taking any measurements; that they have cut cards for the new generation Xterra. So, 4 weeks later I get the springs. Look good, no damage, quality not an issue.

Pull apart my rear factory suspension, mount up the Alcans and guess what, the friggin things have the centering pin 3" too far back. My slip shaft is nearly out of my transfer case and if I were to have lowered my Xterra back to the ground, the differential would have been interfering with my spare tire. So, I've got to pull em out and put my stock springs back on. What a F'in waste of my already limited time!

I call up Alcan and tell them of my situation and agree to take all measurements once again just to be sure (both OEM and Alcan springs - wrapped bushing eyes front and rear to centering pin). In my case the OEM spring pack was 25" front eye to pin/28" rear eye to pin. The Alcans were 28" front eye to pin/28-28.5" rear eye to pin.

I call Alcan again today and guess what, they tell me that they'll send tags to UPS for pick-up so they can measure them. I asked them if they thought I was retarded. I KNOW HOW TO USE A MEASURING TAPE. What really pissed me off was that they said there would be a 30% restocking fee if they the springs were actually correctly made. THEY ARE NOT CORRECT, THEY DON'T FIT. Geez! Anyways, I'm sending them back and have requested a full refund based on the fact that they do not fit properly and that at the time of placing my order, they assured me that they did not need my measurements in advance.

SO, MORAL OF STORY: BEFORE ORDERING CUSTOM ALCAN SPRINGS, MEASURE YOUR OEM SPRINGS SO YOU DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY PURCHASING AND INSTALLING PARTS THAT DON'T WORK AS THEY SHOULD.

·
on line
232 Posts
That sucks! It took quite a bit of time for us to manuever the spring pack into place and I wondered if they were off as well. I measured the stockers to the ones they sent and they did match so we had to get crafty. It was the spring pack bolt that I couldn't get lined up with the axle. I took a ratchet strap and attached it to the axle and a slider gusset, then pulled the axel the extra half inch or so to get the sucker mounted.

Alcan also needs to not assume that we already know that we need longer U-bolts. That was a fun few hours running around trying to find U-bolts in the middle of an install.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
They used the measurement of the previous gen. Their center pins are 3" different the ours.

·
on line
576 Posts
kokopop said:
They used the measurement of the previous gen. Their center pins are 3" different the ours.
Yep. I had the same problem with my alcan pack. The first pack they sent was for a 1st gen xterra. Eye to eye measurements are about the same, its the eye to pin measurement which is 3" difference.

·
on line
429 Posts
So they probably have the right specs, they just shipped springs for the wrong generation?

·
on line
232 Posts
So if anyone else is going to be getting these in the future, make sure to measure them before you start tearting stuff apart. And get longer U-bolts!

·
on line
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it just bugs me that after numerous time of confirming that I was ordering springs for 2005+ Xterra and them telling me that they were aware of the differences between mine and the previous generations, they still sent me the wrong ones and then when I notified them of this, they doubted my ability to use a tape measure and threatened to reduce my refund by 30%.

Since I'm not going to wheel my rig like I thought I was, I'm not interested in having them re-make the springs to the correct specs.

·
on line
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can still wheel the Xterra but I'm not likely going to bring it out on anything more than a mild trail. The Jeep however is set-up to do the more challenging stuff.

Jeep Specs:1980 CJ-5, black (aircraft paint). Tuned 1996 Chevy LT1 motor, TH350 auto tranny, Dana 300 w/ Tera-Low 4:1, Dana 44 front w/ ARB locker, Dana 60 rear w/ ARB locker, 4:56 gears, Moser axles, 40" Ground Hawgs, SOA w/ 2.5" additional lift via new spring packs. WARN front bumper w/ WARN 8274-50 winch and WARN rear bumper w/ receiver. Fully boxed frame, no rust, Rhino lined tub with full roll cage. Not a rock crawling rig by any means due to the short wheel base but it'll be great for the tight Pacific NW trails.

In 2000, I took my fully loaded, brand new 2000 TRD Tacoma through Elbe Hills (Elbe, WA) and left with $12,000 in body damage. Granted it was lifted and had larger M/T tires but that along with the locking rear end was not sufficient to get me out unscathed (long wheel base w/ no body armor = stupid for that trail system). Since my X is my DD, I needed something I could hit up the hard stuff and still be able to get to work the next day; hence the Jeep.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
So I'm close to ordering some Alcan springs... can someone post all the info that Alcan will need? Are the 25" in front and 28.5" in the back the correct measurements? The weather is just getting colder and wetter out, and I'm sure there will be snow on the ground by the time I get home and can measure it out in a couple of weeks... I'd like to put in the order maybe before I get home.

Thanks.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Alcan already has the correct measurements. Give them a call and tell them what you want and they will ask you questions such as how much lift and how much weight do you carry.

·
on line
5,228 Posts
Alcan already has the correct measurements. Give them a call and tell them what you want and they will ask you questions such as how much lift and how much weight do you carry.
X2...Jason is right, you really shouldn't have any issue replacing the stock leaf packs. And if you do have a problem they stand behind their work. I sent mine back and they made an adjustment, no restocking of shipping fee of any sort involved; but I was not replacing stock springs (calmini) and my packs were for 7" of lift.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
I just got worried after reading this thread. Guess they got it right by now...

Thanks guys :)

·
on line
1,231 Posts
I'm wondering if the OP had the spring packs in backwards like we did with Tim13con's rig at the GPAX mod day. We turned them around and the pins lined up fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts