Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my X to the beach this weekend. I heard a few odd sounds from the front when I was in 4H, then I switched to 4LO and heard no sounds. Then when we were about to leave the beach, I noticed that the "Check Engine Soon" light was on. Anyone have a simliar problem if/when they went off-roading on the beach????

·
on line
1,574 Posts
no, i mean ifthe cap isnt completly tightened, itll trigger the light. its prolly the most common cause.

·
on line
31 Posts
Mine did it after parking at the airport for a week. Did the old disconnect the battey trick. It worked, except my VDC light came on. Turned the key to almost start 3 times then drove for a mile. VDC went off.

·
on line
735 Posts
well, since you gave us sooo much valuable info to base an educated diagnosis on.. I'm going to venture forth a wild-ass-guess:

torque converter slippage code because of the hard romp in deep sand with bigger tires...yeah..pretty sure you're screwed. smell your trans fluid and call me in the morning. :blackeye:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well a Check engine ignored can cost big bucks! My dealer had someone drive with one on too long, Few days.... It was a really bad set of o2 sensors, the gas went into the converters and plugged them, and that pretty much melted the engine. It was a small problem, still drove fine, that turned into new engine time. They could have denied that warranty because they drove so long on Check engine light. I think it means check engine. Even though it was covered under emissions section of warranty, 3 weeks plus no car. Would have been 3 hours had they brought it in right away. MC

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the problem is me and my wife share the X (only vehicle) and I work from 7am-7pm M-TH. Also the Nissan dealer here doesn't offer courtesy cars to use, so I have to rent a vehicle at the same time. Also I can't just take my car in and get it looked at, I have to make an appointment. Needless to say I have a really *** Nissan dealer here in NC, I wish I was still in HI that way I can get my X fixed ASAP and get a courtesy car.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea I'd say autozone zip by too, so you know it's not something that will jack it up bad. But, remember, Nissan has a hi tech computer and only a Nissan scanner will be able to read all the codes. Rumor is you can scan it and get some codes, but not many. I'd hope important ones would set.
MC

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm getting out of work early today so I am going to be able to take it into Nissan for them to take a look. I will post what I get from them.

·
on line
355 Posts
i tried my VW vag-com ECU reader in generic OBD-II mode a few days ago. It didnt work on my Xterra, no communication. I'll have to research what protocol Nissan uses now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts