Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may try this soon. Well multiple times I've had to remove my stock shifter to fix the plastic socket the shifter locks into due to it popping off in hard 2-3 shifts . One time the plastic piece broke so I ordered one from eBay and the part number was an oem Nissan skyline r33 part. So just now I hopped on eBay and checked out skyline short shifters and the shifter design itself is almost identical to the xterra/frontier. I wonder if i switch it to my.oem baseplate if it would work.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is an interesting idea and I wish I had been smart enough to think about doing that - it would have saved me a lot of money vs the PRG I bought.

One thing to keep in mind is how short the Skyline shifter will be, but that shouldn't dissuade you. Even the PRG one was too short (I had a custom 2" extended length shift knob made so you can work around any height issues). Or you can find those shifter extenders that cost $10-20 on ebay.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah shift extenders are sweet. A lot of people I know use them. I build Honda drag cars so having it close to the steering wheel saves time when reaching over to shift
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'll ship you some beer if this works haha! I wanted a short shifter so bad and was very excited when PRG said they were coming out with it. That is until i saw the price tag. I've put in a short shifter in every manual I've owned for usually around $150. The PRG is a very nice unit but just a little too spendy for what it is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea the problem with the prg unit is greg is buying shifters from nissan and modding them, and they are not cheap. A core exchange would proabably drop the price, but its not offered.
Yeah my plastic ball thing broke again so I ordered the skyline shifter and an extra bushing to replace mine if the other shifter won't work
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
How is this going to work with the push-down-to-access-reverse feature?

The fulcrum from the ball to the point has to be longer, which pushes the entire thing up, hence the reason for the machined aluminum spacer that Greg includes. I'd be curious to see if this is going to work considering that fact alone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received the shifter today. Gonna try and do it tonight I'll get lots of pics if it works
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 18 of 18 Posts