Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uh... am I missing something?

https://www.amazon.com/Milestar-Patagonia-Mud-Terrain-Radial-Tire/dp/B01GGAR7N0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1155AZVT7LO72&keywords=milestar+patagonia+315/75r16&qid=1561346062&s=gateway&sprefix=milestar+patagonia+315/75r16,aps,214&sr=8-1

For the last year or so after these tires started gaining traction, I have been watching. They started in the cheapish range of ~$200. Then they got popular and jumped to $240-280.
Now they are only to $145.95?? That is cheaper than the 33" version (which themselves are also super cheap)! What gives? Did these get flaming negative publicity lately?

I almost wanna get a set of 4 even though I am a few years still from needing tires. A full set of good 35's for $600 is unheard of.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,176 Posts
Milestar Patagonia's are the offroad tire du jour. They have become very popular in a short time. @LNXPenguin runs them on his Xterra.

There are no long term reports indicating how many miles one could reasonably expect from them, but the price is low enough that even if they only last 20,000 miles the cost per mile will be quite reasonable. Reports of highway performance usually mention how quiet they are and offroad reports are good.

My Cooper ST/Maxx tires are finally wearing out at 40,000 miles. At $135.82 ea. for LT265/75R16 Milestar Patagonia's I'm very tempted to buy a set and try them myself.

·
Super Moderator
4,176 Posts
I don't know how MT's are off road, but old rubber is no bargain on pavement.
Why the reference to old rubber?

If you are referring to Milestar Patagonia, they frequently sell out in the larger sizes so are likely to be fresh off the boat from Indonesia where they are made.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Why the reference to old rubber?

If you are referring to Milestar Patagonia, they frequently sell out in the larger sizes so are likely to be fresh off the boat from Indonesia where they are made.
Buying a tire cheap and stashing it on a shelf, they get hard with age.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
@GPD605X Runs these in 315/75r16 version. Maybe he can comment here.

I asked him about them at Gone he seemed to like them.

I have only heard 2 con's about them,

1.) They hit the MPG's hard. Have a high rolling resistance.
2.) Soft rubber, wears fast. If you consider that a con.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The 17" sizes are very popular mostly with the Jeepers so those should be higher due to demand. Not sure about the 16" version as I'm sure not as many run them. I've heavily considered getting them as my next tire purchase but unsure if I want to go 33"s or step up to 35s". I wouldn't want to run the 35's on the stock wheels due to width although I'm sure it would be fine but our wheel choices in 16" are horrible. Being TS'ed I don't want the ProComps either.

·
Professional Amateur Wanderer
471 Posts
Check out America's Tire/Discount tire, I got all 5, installed with road hazard certificates for under $1000. I had to add and remove them a few times to my cart and the prices just kept getting lower for some reason. I had enough tread, about 6/32" on my old BFG KO2s that a used tire shop was interested in buying the set for $100. Saved me the disposal fees and lowered the overall price of the set. There is a high demand for used all terrain tires apparently. I have to say, I have put 1500 miles or so on this set and I have been very impressed with their performance, they ran very well in water crossings, mud, rock, snow, ice and just regular highway travel. Time will tell how the longevity will play out. I ran a trail with @XKNUT this past weekend and they performed beautifully with no slippage or other issues. They are way quiter than the KO2s ever were. I am a believer and the price point can't be beat.

·
TNX Veteran
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your Amazon link puts them at $192...
Shows as $192 for me as well. Maybe the $145 was a temporary sale or a mistake

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Just checked again and it is still $145 for me with free shipping. I have Amazon Prime... maybe that is the difference? IDK

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I had enough tread, about 6/32" on my old BFG KO2s that a used tire shop was interested in buying the set for $100. Saved me the disposal fees and lowered the overall price of the set. There is a high demand for used all terrain tires apparently.
Definitely a demand for 4 used matching AT tires. I sold my last set through Facebook marketplace in a day. Plenty of people ain't got new tire money and in a state like mine with inspections a set of used tires that will get them through another year is very desirable.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
@GPD605X Runs these in 315/75r16 version. Maybe he can comment here.

I asked him about them at Gone he seemed to like them.

I have only heard 2 con's about them,

1.) They hit the MPG's hard. Have a high rolling resistance.
2.) Soft rubber, wears fast. If you consider that a con.
Yea I love these tires. I ran them at 14 PSI the whole week of GONE. When I had my KO2's, same size, I averaged 16 mpgs from South MS to Utah. This year with the MT's, I averaged about 10-12mpgs so mpgs took a huge hit. I have heard of the rubber being soft. I wheeled mine at WENT 2018 (Sept) and then Moab without a rotation between. I made the choice not to air up and down each day so I ran them 14psi the whole week. This caused uneven wear on the front tires so I moved those to the back when I got home and they hum pretty good now but they slowly are wearing back to even. I looked over them really well after I got home and no sidewall damage or cuts/tears. The rears still have a good chunk on them so I'd say I should easily get another year out of them. I did just over 4k miles over a 2 week period. I'll gladly purchase these again when it comes time for tires.

I got these from Simpletire.com. I paid $800 for all 5 and got them 2 days after ordering.

·
TNX Veteran
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^ Great feedback. I didn't know the MPG hit was that bad. They look good, are cheap, effective, and have insane tread depth (I think like 24/32nd of an inch?) but I could not handle 10-12mpg highway. 14-16 is bad enough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts