Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all!

Just got a 2015 pro4x a few weeks ago and looking for cheap DIY solution to store my bike in the back. I have read through many of the old posts, but cannot seem to find the one that I remember seeing before buying my truck. I am hoping to have something small that can be easily removed for when I am sleeping in the back of the vehicle. I would like to do this as cheaply as possible. It seems like the best route is to mount something to the interior rail system. Could any of you point me in the right direction either with past posts or a tutorial?

Thank you & Cheers!

·
Professional Amateur Wanderer
571 Posts
I would suggest using low profile unistrut/superstrut, then the spring loaded nuts in the cargo rails since you have the Pro4X. You can use fender washers to bolt the unistrut/superstrut across the two rails, and attach the lock blocks into place on the unistrut using the same spring loaded nuts. 1/4" hardware should work fine.

Superstrut 10 ft. 14-Gauge Silver Electro-Galvanized Strut Channel-ZB14HS10EG - The Home Depot Cut that to size

Grab a few thick fender washers and 1/4"-20 x 1.5" and 1/4"-20x2" bolts and you should be in business, you can cut the superstrut with a hacksaw, reciprocating saw, but I prefer angle grinder with a cutoff disc to smooth the cut edges.

If you want to get real fancy, bolt one of these in to keep the disconnected wheel from flopping all over the place. https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Cycle-...holder&qid=1620251250&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-5

·
on line
312 Posts
I'm using the Saris traps single track system. While it's not cheap, I just wanted to point out that with the bike on one side and a wheel holder on the other, it's pretty stable and I don't have it attach to the cargo floor at all. I just use a couple of the track tie down rings to sort of hold the track rail in place. Works like a charm. The only real down side is I have to lower my bike seat to get the bike in the X due to the high load floor. So then I've got to readjust the seat height every time I ride.

·
Registered
402 Posts
here’s my DIY one, but you can get an idea of how to make something work using the cargo channel. I used unistrut t-nuts with a thumb screw for easy on off. You could get the fork adapter at any bike shop and mount it to a piece of wood or scrap metal. I machined mine at work, but this could very easily be put together with a trip to a bike shop and Home Depot. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
My XL bike with a fairly long wheelbase would not fit using any of the DIY ideas I saw, so I had to move the fork mount further aft. See here from the bike mount options thread:

Later on when I wanted it on the driver's side, I made it even more simple and just drilled a couple holes in the plastic cargo floor and attached the fork mount directly to that, backing it up with a small piece of flat metal stock.

Another tip: If you have a dropper seat post, drop it all the way down when you load the bike, then raise it up to the headliner once the bike is mounted in your rack. That will keep the bike more stable when you're driving.

·
TNX Veteran
4,582 Posts
here’s my DIY one, but you can get an idea of how to make something work using the cargo channel. I used unistrut t-nuts with a thumb screw for easy on off. You could get the fork adapter at any bike shop and mount it to a piece of wood or scrap metal. I machined mine at work, but this could very easily be put together with a trip to a bike shop and Home Depot. Just an idea.
View attachment 135802
This is amazing and perfect for only 1 bike. I want to do something similar since I occasionally need to carry 3. Where did you get the piece that bolts into the PRO-4x channel? That's the part I'm missing

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
This is amazing and perfect for only 1 bike. I want to do something similar since I occasionally need to carry 3. Where did you get the piece that bolts into the PRO-4x channel? That's the part I'm missing
You can get strut channel nuts at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

You may want to trim the spring down a bit, it's too long as supplied.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I got mine at work but it is just a unistrut t-nut that you could find at Home Depot or any major hardware store. We also just so happened to have wingnuts/thumbscrews that used the same thread, but I’m sure those would also be easy to find at a store or online.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts