Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the rear diff replaced under warranty 2k miles ago, and she is starting to whine a little again. Barely noticeable but there and it wasn't when it was first swapped out. I asked the guy who did the swap about if I should change out the fluid and when and he said, no, i don't have to but if it was up to him, he'd swap it out at 3k miles.but then not doing it won't hurt anything. Sort of wishy washey. So, 2 questions:

1) should i swap out the fluid now? The timing is good to do it now with a tad over 2k miles on the rear.

2) must i raide the back of the truck up to swap?? the service manual states to just fill until the level reaches the bottom of the fill hole. The sm says nothing about raising just the rear up etc. Would it hurt if I don't raise it up as some on here have suggested? I know the manual states the rear takes 3 3/8's pints.

thanks

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more question. Do the front and rear diffs share the same part number for the drain plug gaskets???

·
on line
294 Posts
yes, drain plug gasket for the C200 rear is the same part as the fill/drain on the front diff. the fill on the rear gets a dab of RTV to seal it up.

as for changing the fluid, if it was warranteed by your dealer, then chances are its got nissan synth oil in there. some have changed it at 10k, other sooner or later. i let mine go to 30k, and it was dirty, but not sludgy. and for break-in shavings, yes you could see them, but there werent so many on the magnet plug to worry me.

i dont see why you should change it out so early, other than to throw money away. if youre worried about it, change at 10 or 15k.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, well, i had the rear diff swapped out at 19k . I haven't touched the front diff or the transfer case at all. I guess I can just go out to 30k then do it all less the tranny......myself....

i don't wheel that much, just the occasional trip to the beach a week at a time 2x a year. But i do 4x4 alot while i am there......

so i should be good waiting to 30k on all those fluids???

thanks....

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mobile 1 synthetic, 75w-90??? whatever the manula calls for

·
on line
120 Posts
I don't think you can change diff fluid often enough. It only takes a few quarts, has an easy-to-drain plug, and differential fluid is NOT filtered. Compared to other things we spend on our trucks fluids are cheap.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
only reason i haven't done it is because i am not 100% sure what the right level is for the diff. i see conflicting reports. service manual says to check to make sure fluid is at the bottom of the fill hole. people here say to put back in what comes out. They also say to jack the rear up. Seems like overkill but btw, she is starting to whine again. took 2k miles and it's back but barely noticeable though it is getting worse. I wonder if they will say something to me if they see the timbrens???? can they???

·
on line
1,320 Posts
most say to jack the rear because the pinion angle has been altered via lift therefor requiring it to be lifted in order to get the recommended amount in.
I haave ~4" rear lift and had to jack it 6" off the ground to get the required amount in... i put in what the manual calls for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts