Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has purchased and/or used chains on their X yet in the snow? I am moving back to Colorado in a few weeks and plan on doing some skiing. I like to have chains just in case. I did a search but it doesn't seem that anyone has actually used them on the X. If anyone has, please let me know what kind you purchased, where, and if you encountered any problems with them such as clearance issues. Also, and this is probably a stupid question, if your in 4 wheel drive do you need chains at all 4 wheels or just the rear?

·
on line
1,716 Posts
I've never chained up the X, winter is screwing us here in Reno. The few times I've chained up a 4wd I always put them in the front. That way you are pulling yourself along not plowing with your front end. I feel if you need to chain up all 4 on a 4wd, then do you really need to be out in the slop.

·
on line
295 Posts
I got NAPA chains. I chain the front under a foot or for ice. Over a foot I chain all 4 and it's unstoppable.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
The expert on this only recomends Rud 4X4 chains. click and look and poke. should be right there up top on link. http://www.bb4wa.com/products/products.htm
Co. tested, It's what I will buy when I get small enough tires.
Expert = Bill Burke 4 wheelin America.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Yeah, you'll have a clearance disaster if you have 33"s. If you're stock, get whatever beefy chain, along with a good tensioner. Check out The Bill Burke link.

If you only have 2 chains and you have 4wd, put them in back. You always place more traction in the rear, for two reasons.:

A. The front is more weighted down and will be more likely to bite down to traction.

B. You'd rather have your front slide out on a turn than your tail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts