Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On July 25, 2007 I did a day hike on the Cerise Creek trail. General location is off Highway 99, near Duffey Lake, north of Whistler, B.C., Canada.

When I last did this hike, in 2001, we drove in my Pathfinder from the paved highway to the trailhead, 6.3km(4 miles) along a gravel logging road. There was one short stretch just near the end of the road that I used 4WD, on a rough uphill section. The drive took just over 15 minutes.

This time, the trip from the highway to the trailhead, in my Xterra, was somewhat different, and took over 1 hour.

Right at the start of the logging road is a "Road Deactivated" sign, which is standard for logging roads that are no longer in use. It means that the road is not maintained, and also may have had culverts and bridges removed, and water bars added.

On logging roads that aren't maintained, eventually bushes and trees can grow over, and onto, the road. Here's an example, taken just over 5km up the road:

Although the bushes/trees are encroaching onto that part of the road a bit, there is still plenty of room on the road. Deciduous trees don't grow as quickly in a shaded area like this, that has mature forest, as they do in open areas such as clearcuts.

However, right from the start of the logging road, the road doesn't look like the above picture. While there are occasional short bits where the road is somewhat open, the first 5km are very overgrown:

You do see the road, don't you? How about now:

Yes, I'm in 4LO. Not because I need to be for the condition of the road surface, but because I need it so that I can drive along the road in first gear, at a slow enough pace that I don't feel like I'm about to completely trash my X from the branches along both sides of the truck.

Here's what I was dealing with:

At the end of the day, here's what the passenger side front fender looked like. That's from the branches rubbing along the fender. At least I have a silver X, which means all the light-colored scratch marks don't show up too much:

The next day it took a while to get those sort of marks off(mostly) the truck. Once washed, and not viewed from close up, it looks OK:

After stopping a number of times, to decide if we should keep going, we eventually reached the trailhead:

We hiked up to Keith's Hut:

Keith Flavelle died on Mount Logan in 1986 after a cornice collapse, and his family and friends built, and maintain, this hut in his memory.

Here's the view from the front of the hut:

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This posting was originally made on Sunday Jul 29, 2007, however, that posting was part of the "lost data" from the recent website problems.

I was able to replace the original posting, word for word, because Google had archived my original posting. I did a search for 'cerise creek xterra' and my posting was the first result :)
http://www.google.ca/search?q=cerise+creek+xterra

Following the supplied link doesn't work, because the topic no longer exists:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5569

However, Google's cached copy of the page does exist, so I was able to copy the text of my original posting, and insert the URIs for the images, etc.

P.S.
Those of you who posted replies to my original posting can use the same technique to recreate your replies here in this new thread ;-)

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Thanks. I followed the links and found my "new"/"old" sig.

What an incredible area. Great pics. I hear you on the pinstripes. I was scouting for grouse hunting trails, and spots to hang some new deerstands yesterday, and could have taken some shots of my X surrounded by brush, but the deer flies were so bad, I couldn't justify getting out for a pic.
That last shot from the cabin was amazing. Hope you had a great time.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Thanks for sharing. That pic of your X stuck in brush looks great man! LoL!

The hills may have eyes, but the bushes have fog lamps.......

·
on line
108 Posts
dpatton those pictures are sweeeeeetttttttt got to love the X in the brush. I beat if you did not know the area you would be like what trail, where is it at!!
Colorado has got some of the best sights.

·
on line
1,340 Posts
Nice pic's. You should bed liner your fenders.

·
on line
97 Posts
mcm4090 said:
Nice pic's. You should bed liner your fenders.
I aggree with that plus it will look sweet!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts