Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the famous driveline vibration from putting a new (lifted) spring pack in. I ordered the 2 degree shims from AC. Do I need to get new center pins too? How much center pin needs to stick into the axle to be safe?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
you have vibration with alcans? i thought they were designed so you wouldn't need them.

anyways, there should be a hole in the center of the shim for the pin to sit into. you can get spacers to put in to raise the height of the pin top (so it's above the shim....see MC's write up for a visual)....i did not do any additional modifications for my shims, they still stuck up like 1/8 inch above the shim.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If the center pin is long enough you can just reuse them, but you will most likely need to space it out. I don't know the exact length, but you want the center pin as far into the axle perch as you can get it. Some shims bolt to the spring pack while others just lay between the spring and the perch.

I would cal Alcan before you do anything as Willgr1 is right, you should not need pinion correction with them.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Scott said:
I have the famous driveline vibration from putting a new (lifted) spring pack in. I ordered the 2 degree shims from AC. Do I need to get new center pins too? How much center pin needs to stick into the axle to be safe?
Dude i didnt even notice that you had alcans.... you shouldnt have vibration. I have had two sets of alcans and the only reason I had vibrations (very slight) with the first set was because I was useing shackles in conjunction with them. Now i dont have a problem with my second set.

·
on line
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bolts are tight, but the angle is definitely off - things visually are not lined up. Alcan was surprised I was having issues too.

·
on line
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alcan supplied me longer center pins and new U-bolts free of charge. I was just wondering if I can avoid having to replace the center pin since I'm not sure how I'm going to do that without taking the Springs completely off again (ugh).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
To replace the center bolt. Get two 6" C-clamps and clamp the leaves together. Remove the center bolt and install the new one.

·
on line
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't the center bolt go in from the top, in which case I need to undo the axle from the leafs (leaving it floating), and then jack it up 3 or 4 inches higher than the leaves. Am I missing anything?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts