Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this discussed from time to time, but never got a definitive answer. So maybe this can serve a reference in case anyone has a similar issue in the future.

I've been struggling for weeks trying to figure out why most of my center console lights were out. Transmission shifter indicator lights, 4X4 selector switch, Hazard button, and all of the labels on every other button (HVAC controls, stereo, VDC, etc). Then today I noticed my tail lights were out while I was working on something completely different (installing a headlight switch bypass).

Traced the problem to a blown tail light fuse (F7 in the IPDM box). Replaced the fuse and voila, everything works again. Apparently most of the center console lights are on the tail light circuit. Who Knew?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, that probably makes sense. And it's likely that it may even be in the service manual as well. It just never crossed my mind to connect the two to do a search. But now that I know...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I popped that fuse when putting my stereo in and didn't realize it. I saw that my dash lights were out but didn't know it affected the taillights. Drove around for 2 months before I fixed it. Ironically, my shifter light is still out but the bulb is good.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
FYI taillight fuse is also the dash lights on pretty much every vehicle ever made, way back to the 40s and 50s. It's a safety feature so you as a driver will know that your tail lights are out. It's done completely intentionally to prevent people from driving around for months with no idea their tail lights are out. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's done completely intentionally to prevent people from driving around for months with no idea their tail lights are out. :)
Except of course in Alaska, where it isn't dark enough for months in the summer to even tell if the lights are out! :)

Actually, what really threw me off was that the center console lights were coming on just fine when starting the vehicle with the remote start system. Then they would go off when stepping on the brake which disengages the remote start. So I thought it might be that the system was somehow wired incorrectly when it was installed.

Turns out that the remote starter simply lights up all of the lights when engaged regardles of the position of the headlight switch. Then when it disengages, everything returns to "normal" so the center console lights went out due to the blown fuse.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
FYI taillight fuse is also the dash lights on pretty much every vehicle ever made, way back to the 40s and 50s. It's a safety feature so you as a driver will know that your tail lights are out. It's done completely intentionally to prevent people from driving around for months with no idea their tail lights are out. :)

Actually my instrument panel was fine. My heat/AC controls were out. I stand corrected.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
While on instrument panel lights......u ever in ur car/truck , turn on the signal....and its blinking faster than it should, its bc a exterior turn signal is out
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
It's done completely intentionally to prevent people from driving around for months with no idea their tail lights are out. :)
It does however require two things:

1 - People to turn their lights on, the number of people here who drive at night without lights astounds me.
2 - People to actually notice the console lights are out, most seem oblivious to everything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So now i have to bug your brains. I was having the same problem, my center console lights were out and so were my rear lights. Traced the problem and i found that the F-7 fuse was blown. I replaced it and it immediatly blew again. So me and my father put on our thinking caps and we replaced my LED bulbs back with a regular style bulb and replaced the fuse again. Didn't blow... so now im driving to work and halfway there the fuse craps out on me.... Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
So now i have to bug your brains. I was having the same problem, my center console lights were out and so were my rear lights. Traced the problem and i found that the F-7 fuse was blown. I replaced it and it immediatly blew again. So me and my father put on our thinking caps and we replaced my LED bulbs back with a regular style bulb and replaced the fuse again. Didn't blow... so now im driving to work and halfway there the fuse craps out on me.... Any suggestions?
did you wire in a resistor for the led bulbs to keep them from hyperblinking?

if so, did you take that resistor back out? if not, that's your issue. too much load.

twss

·
Registered
373 Posts
Last night I got called by another driver letting me know that my tails were out. I had no idea, fuse f7 is fine and all bulbs bare fine. Also one of my brake lights was out but it is back on. Obviously wiring but where shouldn I start looking? is there a place that could corrode or get wet? Please advice..
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts