Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but:
several weeks ago, I pulled into WaWa gas station for fuel, just as I was shutting the truck off, attendant removes fuel cap. When re-starting Xterra after fueling the CE light is on. I`m thinking the truck was running when cap was removed so this may be why. OK, gas gauge is very slow to react, doesn`t come up to full withing the few miles ride to our home. I dis-connect the battery, let sit, re-attach neg cable and the CE light goes out and gauge is up to full mark.
this happens again one week later!!!, do same procedure... light goes out, gauge full...
now this most recent time, the gas attendant again removes the cap before I shut the truck off, they must be hiding behind the pump or something bc you don`t get a second before they walk along side your vehicle and open the fuel door and remove cap. SURE enough the damn CE light is on again, this time the gauge hit bottom and the low fuel light is lit.

I made several attempts to unhook battery neg cable and nothing, CE light still on, and gauge still low, low, low...

so the next morning I drive the truck for about 35 miles with no gauge and CE light lit, get to diner and unhook bat for about 25 minutes, re-connect negative and go have something to eat, fire up the X when we come out and it`s been fine since.
Now I have to re-fuel again this weekend, hope this doesn`t repeat itself.
Does anyone know what`s going on?
I have an extended warranty and the X has 42XXX miles on it. Thanks...PR...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Sounds like a fuel sending unit. Stop by an auto parts store while the light is on and ask them to pull the codes.

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the light comes back on, I`ll do that. my friend has a code reader.
what`s causing the CE light to come on? Doesn`t the self check system check for evap when first started?

·
on line
641 Posts
Same here for I don't know how long ago. Been too lazy to take it to the dealer, but I will... someday... Maybe I'm waiting for a bulleting...

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, filled`er up again, the light didn`t come immediately on, drove a few miles to home, shut off X, re-started the X and the CE light came on. Right after fueling the gauge didn`t go past halfway point as it was before re-fueling. so looks like I have to call and make an appointment. here we go to the stealership... this is covered under extended warranty yes?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
~$500 to have the dealer replace.

It should be covered under the extended warranty. But it is not covered by the 60K mile powertrain/driveline warranty.

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Muzikman said:
It should be covered under the extended warranty.
Thank Goodness. whew!
I just don`t have a whole lot of faith in the dealers around here. The dealer where i purchased the X was taken over by a family of dealers and half the guys left, so it`s anyones gamble.

just like when I paid 500+ for the brake job from an independant...

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Bad fuel cap shouldn't cause problems with the gas gauge. It definitely sounds like the FSU. Mine died at 30K miles. It is covered under the extended warranty (at least the "Gold" warranty from Nissan).

IMHO, you should scan the codes before going to the dealership. It is always nice to know what codes your vehicle is throwing before taking it in for service. Locally, Auto Zone will do it for free. They will not clear the codes, but they will read them for you.

Here are a few posts on the subject:
http://www.thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5617&highlight=fuel+sending+unit
http://www.thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5170&highlight=fuel+sending+unit

·
on line
830 Posts
AZ-Ted said:
Bad fuel cap shouldn't cause problems with the gas gauge. It definitely sounds like the FSU. Mine died at 30K miles. It is covered under the extended warranty (at least the "Gold" warranty from Nissan).

IMHO, you should scan the codes before going to the dealership. It is always nice to know what codes your vehicle is throwing before taking it in for service. Locally, Auto Zone will do it for free. They will not clear the codes, but they will read them for you.

Here are a few posts on the subject:
http://www.thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5617&highlight=fuel+sending+unit
http://www.thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5170&highlight=fuel+sending+unit
No but a bad fuel cap will cause the CEL to come on.

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, pulled a code I think it was 0463? the book says fuel sensor/sending voltage to high.

when the tank is full the gauge doesn`t move from previous level, and then when next start cycle occurs the gauge drops to empty with the low fule light lit and the CE light.

now I just have to make arrangements for stealership to repair under warranty...

·
on line
259 Posts
my CE light came on out of the blue the other day, so I had advanced auto do a diagnostic, got a code P0463 "fuel level sensor A Circuit high imput"

after reading this thread I remember about a month ago after fueling up the gauge didnt register. I pulled over, shut off the truck, restarted and the gauge read full. my CE light never came on. didnt think anything of it really, and it didnt happen again after several fill ups.

but now that the CE light is on does anyone know if this can be fixed without going to the stealership? does anyone know a part number, or if its something a shadetree mechanic can do himself? my truck has 55k on it and is no longer under warranty...

·
on line
117 Posts
Here's the PN the dealership gave me. I don't think you can just go out and buy this part and replace it. According to Cornick there are a few different parts that could go bad.

25060-Z500A or 25060-ZS00A (the hand writing is not great)

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put just enough fuel in that it wouldn`t be totally full, and the CE light stayed off.
it was just a test to see if the light came on with any fill up...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts